1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: award bios boot sequence problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by etaf, Sep 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. etaf

etaf Moderator Thread Starter

First Name:
    Wayne
    i', trying to fix a friends PC - other post in this forum has provide the details however i cannot understand the boot sequence (note i am trying to fix remotely by phone)

Award Medallion BIOS v6.0, An Energy Star Ally
    asus a7v-133 acpi bios revision 1005a

the boot menu
    this implies a boot sequence

1) cd rom
    2) floppy
    3) dvd
    4) ide harddrive

however, it wont boot a bootable CD or a bootable floppy - it it does is boot he hardrive - unfortunately the problem with the PC is it boots up logs in and then logs out again

cant find any manual / screen shots so i can see how to change sequence and if indeed this is the sequence.

In order to fix this PC i need to boot from the CD or floppy to copy a system file - or if all else fails rebuild the system.

other post here
    http://forums.techguy.org/t279306.html

2. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

Are you sure of the boot menu settings? Perhaps the change is being made and not saved on exit?

Are you sure the floppy and the floppy drive are good?

3. zeddy

zeddy

have you set boot up floppy seek in the bios?

4. etaf

First Name:
    Wayne
    cybertech
    No i'm not sure of the settings as i'm doing it over the phone with a non-tech person, so if i had some pictures / instruction then i would be confidant shes making correct changes.
    we haven't saved on exit as the order seems correct and don't know the steps to change the order - when you highlight a device and hit enter the next screen diod not make sense
    the CD and DVD are both good as she was only using them this week before the virus problem.
    not sure about the floppy.

zeddy
    No i have not set this up because as above - i'm remote, and not sure of the sequence to set up.

look like a trip out for the day :(

thanks for the input

5. cybertech

6. etaf

First Name:
    Wayne
    perfect - thats what she described and i can see now that the boot order was ok - it just was not booting in the order she had there.
    so i can go over and sort here out.
    thanks cybertech brilliant

edit[however, she has just phone to say she has taken the PC to a local charity (queen elizabeth foundation) who repair PC's. they advised against altering the bios and they would rebuild/reload software - oh well...]

thanks to all who contributed

7. cybertech

No day trip for you ;)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/279699

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice