1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: babs is BACK! Still need CD-RW HELP!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by babs277, Apr 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. babs277

babs277 Thread Starter

Hey Guys/Gals (AcaCandy,future,dustyjay,brite750,et al)!
    I'm back with even more problems!
    I decided to start a new thread cuz the other one was too long.
    For any new "helpers"... My CD-RW drive is going nuts! I cannot use my Easy CD Creator and Direct CD. I cannot format blank CD's for DIRECT CD use. I can read and write to and from a previously used disk... sometimes. But, I've either corrupted or ruined a few in the process. How? I dunno!
    I have a Gateway Pentium III w/ Windows ME.

It was suggested that I clean the dust out of my CPU.
    I opened up the cabinet and saw little if any dust. There was however, an almost solid "blanket" of dust (looked like a piece if dingy felt!) over the outside of the cabinet where the one fan's "vent" holes are. I removed that before I opened the cabinet. Maybe I'm goofy, but it sure looked as though pretty much everything was enclosed inside the cabinet. I couldn't get to anything to blow it out. So... I didn't!
    HERE'S A BIGGY, THOUGH! I saw a plug that wasn't connected to anything inside the CPU. It had a white connector with 3 pins/prongs... and 2 wires (black & white) going into it. It had "P6" printed on top. I looked around in the general area for any receptacle that it might belong in. I found one... it said "Fan 3" underneath. I hope I didn't really mess everything up, but I plugged the P6 into the Fan 3 receptacle. WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK OF THAT?? Bad move?

I put everything back together... restarted my computer and my CD-RW problems have not changed.

NEXT... I did a system restore to April 15th... before I downloaded those Wndows updates and the Norton 2004. Restarted my machine... NOTHING!
    Same old problems... PLUS I lost a lot of files that I only sacrificed in the hope of curing my CD-RW problems!

I'M AFRAID I'M JUST MAKING THINGS WORSE! Things just couldn't get much worse for me right now!

GUYS... I'M DESPERATE! PLEASE HELP ME!

Thanks for any and all help anyone can give!

babs
    :D

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What does that wire attach too? You don't want to be blindly attaching wires. The Fan 3 connector is only for a fan and outputs voltages.

Burners die all the time, for $10 I would get a new one, which will also come with new Burner Software. The new burner would also be faster and more reliable then your drive if yours happens to be an older model.

One thing you may want to do is a virus scan if you haven't done so already and go to www.roxio.com and download the latest patches to EZCD Creator.

4. kath100

kath100

....NEXT... I did a system restore to April 15th.....
    You can UNDO the system restore.
    :)

5. jsoules1

jsoules1

Hi Babs,

I agree with johnwill and triple6, I'd just invest in a new CD/RW. I watch the electronic stores (Circuit City, Best Buy,etc) and the office supply stores (Staples, Office Max, etc.) for specials. I recently built my first computer and I purchased a DVD-ROM and a CD/RW for $30 (after the rebates). The CD/RW is an I/O Magic brand (and I also have the same brand in my wife's computer) and have had no trouble with either one to date. I've had the one in my wife's comp for approx. 2yrs., using the Nero 6 software, with excellent results. It would sure save you a lot of headaches. Since you don't seem to mind opening up your case, I'd suggest going ahead and replacing rather than trying to fix your old one.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!