1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: babylon?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jdemnyan1116, Jan 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jdemnyan1116

jdemnyan1116 Thread Starter

My grandsons computer that he got from his Aunt has a problem with its search engine. He uses Google Chrome but is always led into babylon home page. Went to the web site of babylon and it says to go to add/remove and remove items,(they give you a list of items to look for. Well, its not in add/remove programs at all. Infact, you cannot find it unless you go into folders and check show all files and folders including the hidden ones for windows. You get the warning about showing the files) It does not even show up if you run a search unless you ask it to search all hidden files and folders. Question is , since it is a search engine as far as I can tell, can I just DELETE the folders for the program or is that a no no. There is no way to get rid of it. I tried google chrome setting and it keeps on going to babylon, even if I set it as Google Chrome or even Google.com as the home page, its always babylon. I finally did get it to work using the tab settings as Google.com tab opens. Now google chrome opens with a tab of Google.com. Didn't have time to see how it works if it does but maybe next time I will try to make the home page google chrome or what ever his home page was. Babylon is still there and he tells me he has no recollection of how it got on the computer(yea). He plays that mindcraft game and I think he got it somehow from the game or its partners or downloads from somewhere. What are the chances that If i remove Google Chrome, then reinstall it that Babylon will not show up? I thought of that but if its going to come back, why remove Google Chrome. Internet Explorer works fine and no babylon there but he does not like IE. This will be an ongoing thing as I do not have the computer with me. It is a Dell laptop computer. Will get better specs later. Any ideas to start with would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. Amai

Amai

Hi, Babylon is a toolbar, A very bad and annoying one! what happened to you, happen to everyone install it.
    Even if you delete Chrome or any other browsers, Babylon won't go with that. it's a separate program.
    Therefore, You can uninstall it from "Programs and Features" like any other program, just look for its name on the list.
    This post show how to uninstall a program: Uninstall or change a program

But usually Babylon won't uninstall that way either, if so, you can use Revo Uninstaller
    Usually, this program can uninstall any stuck programs like Babylon.
    -----------------------------
    And for that "add/remove list of items" the site asks for, NEVER do anything that a site or program ask for unless you know what are you doing and trust that site or program.
    If you wish to understand more about Babylon, read this Wikipedia article: Babylon

3. jdemnyan1116

Babylon is not in the add/remove section. It is not even showing up normally, only the way above that I mentioned. When I get my grandsons computer will download Revo and try that.

4. Amai

Amai

Even if it is not appear in Programs and Features it must appear in Revo uninstaller.
    I hope it will work :)

5. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Babylon is not the type of foistware to be easily removed by standard methods.

Download, install and run the free version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

Click Update > Check for Updates.

When the definition files have updated, click OK.

Click the Scanner tab > Perform quick scan > Scan.

If infections are found during the scan, the number of infections will be highlighted in red.

When the scan is finished, click Show Results.

Make sure that everything is selected, then click Remove Selected.

If you're prompted to restart to finish the removal process, click Yes.

Start Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware again.

Click the Logs tab.

Highlight the scan log entry, then click Open.

When the scan log appears in Notepad, copy and paste it into your next reply.

===================================================================

Download, install and run the free version of SUPERAntiSpyware.

Click Check for Updates.

When the definition files have updated, click Close.

Select Perform Quick Scan and click Scan your Computer.

If infections or problems are found during the scan, a list will appear.

When the scan is finished and the scan summary window appears, click OK.

Make sure that everything in the list is selected, then click Next.

If you're prompted to restart to finish the removal process, click Yes.

Start SUPERAntiSpyware again.

Click View Scan Logs.

Highlight the scan log entry, then click View Selected Log.

When the scan log appears in Notepad, copy and paste it into your next reply.

===================================================================

Next,

Please download AdwCleaner.

• Double click the adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
    • Click Delete.
    • When the scan is finished, a notepad window will be opened.
    • Please post the contents here in your topic.
    • The logfile will also be saved in C:\AdwCleaner[R1].txt.

6. jdemnyan1116

This is not for my computer I am using now, Its for my grandsons computer. I will do as instructed as soon as I get to his computer. My computer I am using now is fine. I won't have his computer until this weekend, just wanted some info to get started when he arrives. Did the SAS and MBAM on his computer and nothing. Will install and use the other program when he gets here. Will download ADWCleaner when he gets here and send the log.

7. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

AdwCleaner should get rid of remnants from Babylon.

8. buffoon

buffoon

BabylonLTD,

I've deleted your advice. We've corresponded on this in the past so no need to delve into the matter further.

jdemnyan1116

Please ignore the post mentioned above, if read prior to deletion, and stick with Phantom010's approach.

Good luck:)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!