Solved: Background Tab Missing in Display Properties

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Koutetsu

Following a particularly annoying spyware attack, my background/wallpaper was replaced with a warning picture. ("warning! your computer infected...click here!...etc." typical spyware...)

After deleting Temp. Internet files, cookies, and running Hijack This, I went to set my wallpaper back to the picture I had before. But upon accessing the Display Properties window I discovered that the "Background" tab was no longer there. Damn that spyware. I hope someone can help me restore that tab. Thanks in advance.

Run regedit and navigate to the following keys:

User Key: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
System]

System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\

You can right click on and delete any policy restrictions there -- or set the data value to 0

Great, I'll mark the thread "Solved" then, but for future reference this option is also available to you in the Thread Tools menu.

You're most welcome for the help.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online