1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Backing up harddrive with another internal harddrive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MrFreeman, Apr 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MrFreeman

MrFreeman Thread Starter

Hello,
    I'm planning on doing a complete harddrive back up with a another internal harddrive. Will I need any special software to do this?
    Also, since I'm backing up my entire harddrive which contains my operating system windows vista premium will this conflict with any license agreement?

2. peterh40

peterh40

First Name:
    Peter
    No, backups are fine. There are a few ways you can do this:
    a) Clone it. a straight copy from one disk to another using disk copy programs such as Symantec Ghost, Acronis True Image etc.
    b) You can backup the files using a backup program such as 'Backup Status and configuration', use the old NTBackup (d/l from Microsoft), Dantz Retrospec 7.5, Paragon Drive Backup or 100s of other available backup programs available incl. those on Magazine cover disks.

3. Gigacore

Gigacore

4. MrFreeman

MrFreeman Thread Starter

I'm planning on doing the complete clone backup. Are any of these software programs free?
    If I used the control panel in windows vista under the security and maintenance tab there is a back up program type of deal. Would that do the job?

5. bigbear

bigbear

6. mtzlplex

mtzlplex Account Closed

What brand name are the harddrives.

7. MrFreeman

MrFreeman Thread Starter

I currently have a seagate 320gig. So I will buy another seagate 320 gig soon.

8. mtzlplex

mtzlplex Account Closed

Just use Seagate`s free cloning software that should come with your new hard drive, it is called "DiscWzard", and should be on the cd that comes with your new hard drive. It is actually an Acronis True Image product, and is very easy to use. If you want to take a look at it you can also find it on their website here: http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/discwizard

9. bigbear

bigbear

This will only clone the drive, if you wish to make regular backups then you are you will need software such as Acronis True Image

10. mtzlplex

mtzlplex Account Closed

OP makes no reference to wanting to do regular backups that I can see in his replys. From OP: quote: I am planing on doing the complete "cloning" backup(note cloning in his reference to his needs). Discwizard fulfills that need.

11. MrFreeman

MrFreeman Thread Starter

Thanks again guys,
    So to clear things up, the software that will come with the new seagate hard drive, discwizard, will allow me to make a clone of my harddrive but will not let me perform monthly backups?

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

The Seagate tool is a modified version of Acronis. It probably does not have all the features. For monthly backups, you clearly want the ability to make a compressed image of those parts of the drive that contain data and not the entire drive including empty space, page and hibernation files, and other things that are not necessary for a restoration.

Here are some more cloning tools. XXClone was recently used by a member here to clone an old drive to a new one in Windows. It worked perfectly for that task, but that is not what you want to do. Having an exact clone would cause problems with your system since Windows would need to assign a different drive letter, possibly making it unbootable if needed. An image is by far the best choice since they occupy typically 60% of the used space of that partition it is backing up. So, a drive with a 15 GB installation of XP, for example, could be backed up to an 8-9 GB image. It is good to have more than one in case you discover you were infected when one was made, or there are other problems with one of the backups.

So, try DiscWizard, see what features it has, and take it from there.

Free Drive Cloners/Imagers:

SystemRescueCD
    EaseUs Disk Copy (Copies disks or partitions)
    XXClone
    CloneZilla GParted LiveCD (Complete partitioning and drive imaging/restoration tools)
    CloneZilla
    Partition Saving
    PCI CloneMaxx
    Drive Image XML
    HDClone
    DriveClonerXP
    Self-Image
    copyr.dma (Copies disk with bad sectors for recovery)

Commercial Apps:

O&O DiskImage
    Acronis True Image Home
    EAZ-FIX Professional and Easy Image
    Drive Snapshot
    Keriver Image
    Avanquest Copy Commander
    Paragon Drive Backup
    NovaBackup
    R-Drive Image
    Norton Ghost
    HDClone Pro or Enterprise
    Terabyte Image for Windows
    Terabyte Image for DOS (can directly access FAT, FAT32, and NTFS partitions)
    Spotmau Disk Clone & Backup

13. mtzlplex

mtzlplex Account Closed

Elvandil is correct, DiscWizard does not have all the bells and whistles of the full version of Acronis. It is a great little tool for making a clone, or an image backup, which is what it can do, but does not have the ability to do scheduled backups. If you do wish to make monthly scheduled backups, a different software approach than DiscWizard is probably in order.

14. MrFreeman

MrFreeman Thread Starter

Thank you evan, that is a vaulable piece of info.
    So, I'll probably be better off copying a compressed image of of my drive rather than a complete clone which I was planning on doing. I just want to make sure that if my current drive crashes I can switch to the new drive that has the copied/compressed drive image of the crashed drive (of course when it was previoulsy working). And that the new drive will contain my Operating System (windows vista) and all the other programs and games that I have on it.

I've done some window shopping on newegg.com and I found this guy here:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148140

Would this be compatiable with my system? Here are my specs for my current system:
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/inspd531/en/OM/appendix.htm#wp1149546

Thanks again guys

15. Elvandil

Elvandil

In the image case, you don't switch drives. The image is restored to your drive (or a new one if necessary) using the boot CD created by Acronis. In 20 minutes or so, you have your entire system back with all the files, programs, and settings just as they were when the image was created.

I schedule mine to make an incremental backup twice a week. Only changes are recorded and the backup takes little time.

That drive looks perfect for your use. You could create a 100 GB dedicated partition, say, for backup images and use the rest for storage or as you wish.

If you want to just switch drives and boot up, a clone is a better idea. But you'd need to disconnect the clone right after creation to avoid drive letter and other modifications to the drive that may occur if you kept it online. I highly recommend Acronis. It can also clone drives, if you want, and can make an exact copy of your main drive if you bought a larger one.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/706076

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice