1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: backing up system to cd/rw

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by marianne, Apr 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marianne

marianne Thread Starter

Hi,

I'm trying to back up my entire system onto cd's but got the message that data was larger than 2 gb and to use udf (universal disc format). I haven't much of a clue as to what that means except when I did a google search I read something about linex. Is there a site to help me with this back up stuff cause I'm really dense when it comes to trying to figure out what to do.
    I have over 10 gb to back up and bought a bunch of cd-rw.

Thanks,
    Marianne

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, first off, you won't be able to back up the O/S in a state where you could restore it from scratch to UDF (packet) format disks.

I'd recommend NOT use UDF format, but rather backup just your data files first on CD-R/RW disks using your CD burning software. Then, you can use something along the lines of Norton GHOST to do an image backup of the boot drive that can be restored if you have a total crash.

I normally have my disks partitioned in multiple logical drives so I can keep data and the boot disk separate for backup purposes, makes backup much easier.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217857

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice