1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Backpack Burner Hell

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by great_dame, Sep 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. great_dame

great_dame Thread Starter

I could so cry...Okay:

I have had my burner for a while, right? We've been through a lot together. I thought I had mastered my IomegaZip650 USB buddy.

But today, after burning a cd successfully, it decided to break my heart, and become "inaccessible" and lost to the system! What have I done wrong?!

It's all connected. The driver's there - (has been there, forever!) I restarted, made sure that I hadn't done some freaky deaky "msconfig" thing where I clicked off something it needed...I can't understand why it just blinks a green light at me, and refuses to open when I push eject. The computer says my drive doesn't even exist, now. But it does; it's right there.

I have replugged the USB and power adapter so many times...that can't be my issue. The strip cord is supplying power...no software has been touched or removed...

what <i>happened</i>?:(

2. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann

it sounds like the driver. if you go into device manager, is your burner listed? if so, what do the properties for it say? you may need to uninstall the drivers and the device, and then reinstall, that should take care of it. oh- and check the manufacturers website for updated drivers too.

3. great_dame

Unfortunately, upon reinstalling everything (and then connecting hardware as instructed), it doesn't even show up as a recognized drive anymore. So no - it's no longer listed.

4. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann

are you sure you uninstalled everything?
    let me look around a bit, and see if i can help...
    i'll post back as soon as i come up with something

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd go into Device Manager, USB devices and uninstall everything you see there. Reboot and let the machine discover the USB hardware again, then install the drivers for the CD again.

6. great_dame

I found the USB place you're talking about, and it says:

intel universal host controller

&

USB root hub.

I can remove both of those without screwing myself over, right?

*is nervous*

7. great_dame

UPDATE:

Removed everything from Device Manger in the USB department...which found itself again upon reboot and is now back. Driver and everything for the burner, reinstalled...

but the computer still does not "see" it. Does not show as a drive in device manager. USB hooked correctly, and power adapter hooked correctly. Burner just blinks a green light to signify power, but won't even open when ejection is prompted.

I can't "assign" it a letter, because it claims this burner is all in my imagination. Any further ideas would be appreciated.

8. JohnWill

If it doesn't show up anywhere, even in device manager, it may be damaged or dead. The fact that it won't eject leads me to believe there's a hardware issue, all of the USB CD-RW drives I've used or seen will eject even if they're not plugged into the USB at all.

9. great_dame

UPDATE: Come to find out, the blinking light was activity, and the
    burner needed to "think" for a while. I also hooked its adapter to
    its own cable, directly into the wall with no surge protection.
    Now it opens and closes just fine. And I use no hubs.

The USB connector makes the burner blink a little...the burner sees it,
    but the computer doesn't seem to. ?!?!

Any ideas for the inability of My Computer to recognize it as a drive?
    I have gone in on Safe Mode, removed any "ghost drives", installed
    a USB detector, made certain I had the right driver, and the USBs show
    up just fine...but no CD-RW drive.

I don't get it. It has worked before. Why not now?

10. JohnWill

Well, I'd try it with another system, since it's portable. You might as well eliminate the possibility it died before spending a lot of time trying to get it running first. :)

11. great_dame

I FIXED IT! And I couldn't have done it without the help I got from here...everything someone said made me think and investigate something a little more. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

After reinstalling everything and trying the portable drive elsewhere (which worked, thanks Johnwill!) i loaded all device drivers...apparently, I'd clicked off something it needed. Siiiigh. Good old Sally's back. I love her.

12. JohnWill

All's well that ends well. :)

13. RLUV4KAYDETTE

RLUV4KAYDETTE

Out Of Curiostiy
    Are The Backpack Burners Mac Compatible
    And Do They Backup Games As Well As Dvd's

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165729

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice