1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: BackTrack LiveUSB Boot Problem

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by mnbvcxzl90, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mnbvcxzl90

mnbvcxzl90 Thread Starter

Hi, i am on a dell inspiron 3520 running Windows 8, when ever i try to boot into a USB the screen goes black and has a white blinking _ then boots into windows 8, the usb boots fine on my dell 1501, but i cant seem to get it to boot on the 3520, i tried booting it at start up using F12 and from the windows 8 boot thing where you hold shift and press restart, to no luck... please help :(

2. bbearren

bbearren

Is your system UEFI or MBR? If you bought it with Windows 8 installed OEM, it's UEFI.

If that's the case, you need to go into boot options (F12 on Dell, usually), and then select Legacy USB (or something named similarly). If that isn't immediately available (on the first screen) get in the BIOS to the boot device priority section. There you'll need to select Legacy USB (or something named similarly), save changes and exit.

3. mnbvcxzl90

I bought it with windows 8, when i go into the boot menu it says UEFI next to the usb "UEFI Sandisk Cruzer Glide" ill go into the bios and see if i can find what your talking about...

4. mnbvcxzl90

i did not see anything involving legacy usb in the bios menu, only the single option of the legacy boot mode thing...

5. mnbvcxzl90

Still unable to boot from usb.....

6. mnbvcxzl90

Ok, idk entirely how, but I fixed my problem, I think, I told it to use the legacy boot option theb set it back to the other boot option, now I can boot from a usb, start up seems to take slightly long from the dell boot menu, but now it works :)

7. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

If the flash pen is prepared correctly you do not have to disable secure boot and enable legacy boot, you only have to disable secure boot
    UEFI will only boot from FAT file systems it will not boot from NTFS
    It can read NTFS but it cannot boot from it

That all said it seems apart from what you say regarding it taking longer that you are OK
    In respect of that I would check this - setting as per my screenshot -
    Fast start up

Attached Files:

8. mnbvcxzl90

I had the usb formatted to fat and all that, as I said it worked on other computers too, I simply switched on,legacy boot mode then went back to UEFI, and now its working fine, the drive itself tho was formatted correctly and all that, from what I saw online im not the only person to have this problem with dell, just I needed a way to boot my flash drive without changing a major part of my system as answers on other sites sugested.

9. mnbvcxzl90

I thank the two that replied, helpful stuff, I think I will use this site for any tech questions in the future, also this is in the windows 8 section because I at first assumed it had to do with windows 8 considering I could boot a flash drive fine on my old dell

10. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

It has, in so far as Windows 8 preinstalled on all computers sold with the Certified for Windows Microsoft endorsement must have secure boot enabled.
    That was a condition imposed by Microsoft. Therefore they must also be UEFI, rather than the old traditional BIOS

and as I said UEFI boots from a file not from a drive and that file must be on the flash drive otherwise it will not boot, unless in legacy mode like you did

http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forums/showthread.php?t=46801

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088729

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice