1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: backup hard drive on my laptop - lcd not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by speedy2007, Nov 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. speedy2007

speedy2007 Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a dell inspiron 510m notebook, running win xp pro, sp2.
    Stupidly i dropped it today, it landed awkwardly on the monitor end, and basically smashed my lcd. I called dell, they did a test by making me hold the fn key and pressing power. The laptop starting beeping and the tech guy said this should mean my hard drive is ok.
    Im going to bring my laptop to a repair shop tomorrow to get my lcd replaced (no longer under warranty with dell) but im worried that they might re-format my hard drive, and ill lose everything. Is there a way of backing it up when i cant see the screen?
    i dont have any external monitor i can hook it up to...i could get a lend of another laptop..but can u hook one laptop to another to use the monitor on the 2nd one??
    sorry if thats a dumb question :eek:

appreciate any help

2. kimsland

kimsland

No.

But you have two options:
    1. Find an external monitor (really the best option)
    2. Remove the hard drive (they don't need the hard drive to fix the display)

I'd say there's a good (or bad) chance they they may wipe your drive otherwise.

3. Flags

Flags

When you take it in, tell them not to wipe the drive.
    There's no reason to do it anyway and they need the OS to test the monitor when they finish repairing it.

4. kimsland

kimsland

Thanks "Flags"

But what if the user has set up:

Passwords
    Automatic Startup programs
    Virus that destroy data (who's fault here?)
    Other software faults not known

If I was Dell, to test in Windows I'd re-image; as the customer is responsible for backups.

5. Flags

Flags

kim; He said he was taking it to a local shop for repair of the monitor.
    I figure the shop will get the monitor from Dell and install it, boot it up to see if they get desktop. No need to wipe the drive, huh?

6. kimsland

kimsland

Im going to bring my laptop to a repair shop tomorrow

Oh that's not Dell.

Sorry Flags - I need to read the words more clearly.

Anyway Dell's about $180 per hr, probably not wise.

7. speedy2007

hey, thanks so much for ur help guys...unfortunately the cheapest place to repair it are going to charge me €325, so im just going to buy a new laptop. I was planning to eventually but was hoping to put it off for a while longer.
    So now im just wondering is the only way to get my hard drive info to find an external monitor somewhere?

arghhh cant believe i was so dumb to drop it in the 1st place

thanks again

8. kimsland

kimsland

Because it's a laptop, just take it around with you to friends / family; most people have deskltop computers at home, that you can momentarily use the monitor from.

By the way, how much are you selling the broken laptop for (mind you I don't have a LCD) and can't afford to buy one, about $500+ here to fix

Kim

9. speedy2007

hmm hadnt even thought about selling it actually, dont think id get too much for it...its old and less ram and hard drive that u'd get on a very basic laptop nowadays.
    But for some strange reason, im kinda attached to it(sad i know,but i was travelling for the last year and it was so important to me) ..i had it set up just the way i like it and it had everything i needed, took me ages to get it like that too

10. kimsland

kimsland

I understand. Just a thought.

Anyway I think this thread is solved (Kind Of)

Please mark as solved if you believe there is no more tech support required

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/651066

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice