1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Backup help needed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fredbare50, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fredbare50

fredbare50 Thread Starter

Hi Guys, I have downloaded Macrium Free backup program to backup my HD to an external drive, but when I open the file to install it a message pops up from my AVG that it is Malware and not to install it, the warning calls it "The file is a Decompression Bomb" and gives me a choice to ignore or to install, what should I do?
    Also I have FBackup, and when I try to use that it tells me to insert a disk, when I have told it to backup up to my external WD drive which has been partitioned for that purpose, the drive works for the other data I have on it .
    Can someone please explain the differences between: Cloning a drive, Mirroring a drive, and Full backup of a drive, many thanks.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium , 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 540 @ 3.07GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 5
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 4087 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS , 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 476837 MB, Free - 268949 MB; J: Total - 161018 MB, Free - 73302 MB; K: Total - 48461 MB, Free - 48360 MB; L: Total - 267457 MB, Free - 267349 MB;
    Motherboard: ASRock, H55M-LE, ,
    Antivirus: AVG Internet Security 2011, Updated and Enabled

2. Sponsor

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

First of all, where did you get Macrium Reflect from?? You should download it from the Macrium site. It is a well known and respected so I doubt that it has been infected directly from there.

I don't know FBackup and I'm not going to install it to try it..

Cloning usually involves a complete copy of all the stuff (partition tables, boot sectors, and partitions) from one drive to another so that the second one can totally replace the first.

Mirroring usually means creating a second copy of files in real time so that in case of corruption of the primary copy, the mirrored copy can be used. (It is a good idea/practice to detect the usage and only use the mirror to restore the primary and not expose it to the corrupting influence). It is usually used in a RAID set, but not necessarily so.

Full backup of a drive may be similar to a clone except that it could be to a different media that cannot directly replace the original. The term is used more often to refer to backing up a whole drive/partition rather than just the changes - incremental back up.

More if needed.....

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Macrium reflect does a decent job for basic image backups of a drive. If you want to backup a raid array or clone drives, then the only thing to get is acronis true image. Acronis is not free like macrium however it does more.

I just downloaded macrium and did a scan and got basically the same thing you did. My guess here is that it is a false positive since the files in question are a linux compressed file. It is up to you however I tend to think macrium is fine and it is just a false positive.

5. fredbare50

Thanks guys, I tried to download Macrium from their main site but was redirected to another and then finally to CNet, I then tried some other sites with the same result each time. So do you think it will be safe to install? What is a raid array, I see a lot of reference to it on this forum?

6. DaveBurnett

Yes Cnet is OK to download from

7. fredbare50

I have downloaded Acronis Trial to see how it goes, have done a backup, but how do you see what is on it, it looks nothing like looking at the files on C; drive, how do I know if it is OK?

8. DaveBurnett

There is an option to check it. There is also one to mount the image as a drive.

9. fredbare50

I think i've got it all now, thanks for your help.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975174