1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: backup PC using Acronis, advice needed

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by ymi7, May 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ymi7

ymi7 Thread Starter

Hello,

I have a 5 years old PC with 80gb internal hard drive. I've just bought an external hard drive; Buffalo Drivestation 1tb. My aim is:

1- To boot from Buffalo DriveStation in the event of internal harddrive failure (the hd start making clicking sound). I've just reformat my PC and a one-off 'copy' of how my OS setting is fine, I dont need scheduled backup / 'copy' of my OS in my Buffalo DriveStation. FYI, the OS is in my C: where else files, pictures, songs etc is in different partition.

2- To make scheduled backups files,pictures, songs etc partition to Buffalo DriveStation every fortnight or so.

3- Im planning to partition the Buffalo DriveStation such as below:
    a) 10gb --> to make a 'copy' of my current C: drive where my OS is
    b) 150gb --> for pictures
    c) 300gb --> for videos
    d) 50gb --> for files
    e) 490gb --> to 'copy' partitions b) to d)

I've been reading Acronis and googled on how to do the above but not sure whether I should go with 'Disk Cloning' or 'Mounting Images' or both to perform Task 1 and Task 3e?

Also, in order to perform partition my Buffalo DriveStation as outlined in Task3 using Partition Magic, do I have to choose the specific task of 'Install Another Operating OS' for Task 3a?

I hope I have explained everything as clearly as possible and appreciate any help.

Thank you

2. Sponsor

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

1- To boot from Buffalo DriveStation in the event of internal harddrive failure
    Can't do that.
    But Having a spare HDD for an emergency backup is a good idea.

3- I'm planning to partition the Buffalo DriveStation such as below:
    I would NOT partition the external ... Folder organization is Better
    Acronis backups are simple data files ... Format the external in NTFS

not sure whether I should go with 'Disk Cloning' or 'Mounting Images' or both to perform Task 1 and Task 3e?
    Neither .. Just backup to a data file.
    I know I didn't answer all .. Lets go from here .

4. stantley

stantley

Using Acronis burn a rescue CD which will have the Acronis software on it.

Then in the event of internal harddrive failure, replace the hard drive, boot up with the Acronis CD and restore an image stored on the external drive to the internal drive.

5. raybro

raybro

Alternatively to the rescue CD, you can make the external drive bootable into Acronis. If you are interested in the 'how to do that', post back with info and provide links.

Raybro

6. ymi7

ymi7 Thread Starter

Hello,

Thank you for the answer.

Raybro, Im very much interested to learn how to boot Acronis from external HD. Can you please provide the link and the how-to instructions?

Also kindly include whether I should image or clone my internal C: to external hd?

Many thanks

7. raybro

raybro

Click here to go to a site with full instructions for creating a bootable USB external hard drive. I suggest you copy the .pdf document to a folder in your My documents and then print it for reference during the process.

Regarding whether to clone or image. You can certainly do either, but the only real reason to clone is to have a fully operational duplicate of your C:/ drive. The imaging method has all the same content but is compressed and not functional as a stand alone. It must be recovered to another drive (i.e. the original C:/ from which it was made or a new hard drive replacing a failed drive). Additionally, a full backup image can be updated as your C:/ content changes. Personally, I use the differential backup rather than incremental. There are advantages and disadvantages to both.

I will be out most of the rest of the day, but post back with any furher questions you may have and I'll respond when I'm able. Also, I'm sure others will be able to offer advise in this regard.

Good Luck... Raybro

8. ymi7

ymi7 Thread Starter

Thanks Raybro,

I think I understand what need to be done now:

1- image internal C: to usb flash drive
    2- clone the image from usb flash drive to external hd
    3- set to boot from external in the event of internal hd failure

Meanwhile, for regular backup for my other internal partitions than C:
    1- Differential backup may consume more space and time but easier to restore (which is what Im going to choose)
    2- Incremental backup may consume lesser space and time but may take longer to restore.

One last question :- I thought partitioning instead of folder organisation provide somewhat lesser risk of file corrupt. Is this not the same case for external hd?

Many thanks

9. raybro

raybro

Not exactly. It would take a pretty large USB Flash drive to create an image of the C:/ drive. The intention is to create a bootable flash drive using Acronis media builder. Then , using Acronis, create an image of the flash drive to the USB hard drive.

Another simpler and dependable way to create the bootable partition on the Flash drive is shown here. You download a utility used to create the MBR partition on the flash drive. Then use Acronis media builder to install the Acronis startup data. The Flash drive is now bootable into Acronis. Then you create an image of the USB flash drive on your C:/ drive.

Plug in your external drive and using Acronis, run a Restore selecting the image of the Flash drive with the target for the Recovery image your external hard drive. This will create a FAT32 boot partition on your external drive about 125MB in size. The remaining space on the external drive should be empty and formatted in NTFS. That space is where you will store the backup images of your entire C:/ drive.

The flash drive serves, in this process, as an intermediary to create the bootable partition, image it and recover it to the external hard drive.

I hope I've explained everything adequately. Please read the instructions on both sites thoroughly and understand them before you do anything.

Raybro

10. ymi7

ymi7 Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice raybro.

I'll read through both links you have given me and will get back here for further questions

11. ymi7

ymi7 Thread Starter

Hello, I've successfully followed the instructions that you have provided and both flashdrive and external hd seem to boot fine.

My next question would be:
    1- I've changed my BIOS setting to boot into my current internal hd and 2nd priority is USB HDD. Other than that the options are Hard Disk, JLMSXJHD1665 and Realtek Boot Agent.

Below is my BIOS specification generated by SIW

BIOS Vendor Award Software International, Inc.
    BIOS Version F10
    Firmware Version 97.114
    BIOS Date 07/09/2004
    BIOS Size 256 KB
    BIOS Starting Segment E000h
    DMI Version 2.3
    Characteristics - supports PCI
    - supports Plug-and-Play
    - supports APM
    - upgradeable (Flash) BIOS
    - allows BIOS shadowing
    - supports booting from CD-ROM
    - supports selectable boot
    - BIOS ROM is socketed
    - supports Enhanced Disk Drive specification
    - supports INT 13 5.25-inch/360K floppy services
    - supports INT 13 5.25-inch/1.2M floppy services
    - supports INT 13 3.5-inch/720K floppy services
    - supports INT 13 3.5-inch/2.88M floppy services
    - supports INT 05 print-screen
    - supports INT 09 and 8042 keyboard services
    - supports INT 14 serial services
    - supports INT 17 printer services
    - supports INT 10 CGA/Mono video services
    - supports ACPI
    - supports legacy USB
    - supports AGP
    - supports booting from LS-120
    - supports booting from ATAPI ZIP drive
    - BIOS Boot Specification supported
    - Function key-initiated Network Service boot supported

However, my PC keep booting into my external HD which goes to Acronis menu (which bring me to 2nd question). How can I rectify this?

2. In the event of internal hd hardware failure, how can I keep using the computer as usual (internet, email, games) using my external hd? which Acronis facility can/should I use?

Thanks in advance

12. raybro

raybro

There are only two conditions that could cause what you describe.

The boot order in BIOS.

The internal drive you have as first boot device is not the one containing your OS.

To narrow down the possibilities, I suggest you turn off the power to the external drive and reboot. Is it possible what you list as Hard Disk, JLMSXJHD1665 is the drive containing your OS? Do you have more than one hard drive inside your computer?

Raybro

13. ymi7

ymi7 Thread Starter

Hello,

I've managed to adjust the BIOS setting accordingly where it is booting properly now.

For my 2nd question: since I only follow the documents you have provided, if I understand correctly I have not yet backup my internal C: and restore into my external hd. is this correct?

14. raybro

raybro

If I understand your question correctly, the only image you restore to the external drive is the one that makes it bootable into Acronis. You have already done that, yes??? If that is the case, you can select the external drive in BIOS and your system will boot into Acronis. According to your post #10, that is now the case.

First go to Control Panel and open Administrative Services/Computer Management/Disk Management. You should see displayed there all your drives and partitions thereon. Your external drive should have 2 partitions. One labeled Acronis and be about 125MB in size. The other partition may not have a label, but it should be formatted in NTSF and take up the remaining space on your external drive. If it is already formatted in NTSF, but not named, you can name it by right clicking on the drive and selecting "Properties". Just type in the name you desire.

If that is done, open Acronis and click "Backup". Select the entire C:/ drive and create a full image backup. Store the image on the external drive.

Raybro

15. raybro

raybro

I thought of something else that may be of value to you in getting your system set up. The boot order I use and recommend is as follows.

1st... Floppy (A:/) drive (If you have one).
    2nd... Optical drive (CD/DVD Usually D:/ drive) (If you have more than one optical drive list them one after the other).
    3rd... Internal Primary Master HDD (C:/ drive containing OS)

This order allows you to boot from a floppy simply by inserting a bootable floppy in to the drive prior to turning the system on.
    Same Thing applies to the CD/DVD drives. If there is nothing in either the 1st or 2nd drives, booting will automatically go to the next bootable drive (C:/ drive)

The external HDD will not appear on the list unless it is powered on. When it is powered on, it should normally be the last drive on the list. When you desire to boot into Acronis using the external drive, go into BIOS and move it ahead of the internal HDD. Assuming the 1st and 2nd drives are empty, your machine should boot into Acronis.

Raybro

16. ymi7

ymi7 Thread Starter

Hi Raybro,

Thanks for your patience with my thick head.

My BIOS setting is working fine now where I am able to boot as normal and at the same time I have also managed to boot into my external hd that I have the bootable Acronis into it.

To confirm your question : yes, my external hd is Acronis bootable.

Now all i need to do is backup my C: into my external so I can have my OS inside my external hd.

should be correct understanding now yup?
    Thanks

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/829714