1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: backup question

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by drmiler, Mar 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. drmiler

drmiler Thread Starter

I have 2 machines, both basically the same 2Ghz CPU's, 2gb of ram, 240 gb HD. one runs win XP the other is win 7 the backup device is a WD Passport usb 2.0 ext HD. Win XP backs up 60 gb in approx. 2 1/2 hrs. the same size back up on Win 7 takes over 8 hrs. can anyone tell me why? and is there anything that can be done about it?

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Perhaps there are programs running in the background on the Win 7 machine that is slowing it down.

3. drmiler

drmiler Thread Starter

no there are no background programs running. it was a clean installation of win7. actually the XP macine is the one running about 6-7 programs in the background yet that's the one running faster. it makes to sense.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Do both computers have the exact same processor?

Do both computers have the exact same RAM?

2.00 GHz processors come in different brands, models, cores, etc..

RAM modules comes in different DDR numbers and different speeds.

--------------------------------------------------------

If 2 computers have identical hardware, Windows XP will run faster than Windows 7 because the latter is more system-hungry.

--------------------------------------------------------

5. drmiler

drmiler Thread Starter

yes both computers are running the same Intel 2Ghz cpu. here's where it gets stranger. the faster machine has less memory than the slower one. ie: win 7 is running on 2gb, win XP is running on 1.5gb.

I understand where you're coming from on that. you're probably right cause my win 7 laptop running 4gb of memory is notably faster than the other win 7 machine. question is other than an upgrade (not enough funds also 2gb is M/B limit) can anything be done to speed it up? I remember back in win 95/98 it's backup was a turtle. changed to Arcada backup and got a tremendous increase in speed. I mean come on, Microsoft has never been that great in coding it's tools.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Do the following in BOTH computers so we can get a more accurate picture of the hardware in them.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Download and save the TSG System Information Utility (SysInfo.exe) file to the desktop.

After it's been downloaded and saved, double-click it to run it.

Information about your computer will appear.

Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the ENTIRE text here.

7. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    My images took longer in Windows 7 until I increased the RAM from 2GB to 4GB. Just a thought. 2GB is not enough RAM for Win 7 to run well yet it is for XP.

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Many people don't realize that programs, websites, computing functions, etc. get more and more memory-hungry (and processor-hungry) over time.

I personally refuse to run Windows XP with less than 2 - 4 GB of RAM and Windows 7 with less than 4 - 8 GB of RAM and both with less than an Intel Core 2 Duo processor.

9. drmiler

drmiler Thread Starter

here's the win 7 machine

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.80GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 4
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 2047 Mb
    Graphics Card: Standard VGA Graphics Adapter, 4 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 35000 MB, Free - 4660 MB; D: Total - 41307 MB, Free - 35024 MB; E: Total - 74002 MB, Free - 63830 MB; F: Total - 78622 MB, Free - 75633 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P4XP-X
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

I'll get the xp one in a minute

10. drmiler

drmiler Thread Starter

here's the xp one

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.00GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 4
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 1535 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9000, 64 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 39997 MB, Free - 6616 MB; D: Total - 76002 MB, Free - 74550 MB; E: Total - 36318 MB, Free - 33198 MB; F: Total - 80324 MB, Free - 59037 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., <P4B>
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

I can see my mistake? the win7 machine is running a slower cpu. although I don't think that small a change can make that much difference

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The 1.80 GHz and 2.00 GHz Intel Pentium IV processors are both single-core processors and both have a 400 MHz frontside bus speed.
    The 1.80 GHz has a benchmark score of 160
    The 2.00 GHz has a benchmark score of 190

The ASUS P4XP-X motherboard has 2 slots and supports up to 2 GB of PC100/PC133 RAM.
    The ASUS P4B motherboard has 3 slots and supports up to 3 GB of PC100/PC133 RAM.

The motherboard that Windows 7 is running in is so old that it doesn't even have driver support for an operating system newer than Windows XP.

You're using 2000 - 2002 era hardware to run Windows 7, so it's pretty obvious why it has the speed and performance of a turtle.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

12. drmiler

drmiler Thread Starter

thx flavllee. I kinda figured it was going that way. dang it I just upgraded both of those systems. I just didn't have the funds to take them where I wanted to go. good news is my laptop is duo core with 4gb ram (IBM T61) 500gb HD. Picked it up on eBay refurbished for $70 shipped. win 7 works pretty good on it. guess win 7 will only be on laptop. thx to everyone for their input

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Both of those desktops are too old and too slow to run Windows 7 32-bit properly.

I would either retire them to "computer heaven" or stick with Windows XP SP3 in them.

A genuinely-refurbished laptop with Windows 7 is not going to sell anywhere for only $70.00.

If that's what you paid for it on eBay, it likely has a pirated copy of Windows 7.

14. drmiler

drmiler Thread Starter

sorry bud, wrong answer. it's certified and activated by Microsft and has a legal COA. as far as the refurbishing goes this guy is certified by IBM, believe me I checked him out before I set up the bid. laptop was up for auction on eBay. wasn't getting a lot of traffic. so I used auction stealer and put in a snipe bid of $70 @ 3 seconds before end of auction and lucked out. as a IT mgr I've seen a lot of laptops come and go. but this one is in "really" nice shape. I just hope it lasts.

15. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    (y)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145074

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice