1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Backup Software Needed...

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by go4saket, Jul 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. go4saket

go4saket Thread Starter

Hello Friends!

I need a backing up software which supports scheduling. I want something in which I can add some files and folders to the backup schedule task and every time I double click its icon or it reaches its schedule time, every file or folder mentioned in the backup list gets automatically backed up at the specified location. Compressed and encrypted backup would be even better.

I hope I am able to explain what exactly I need. Please help me in this. I dont mind a paid software also.

Thank you.

2. Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

Why don't you use the Backup facility within XP itself under Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Backup

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Probably because the XP backup basically sucks. :)

I use Cobian Backup here, it allows you to do those things as well as it will keep generations of the backup, do incremental and differential backups, etc. Did I mention it's free? ;)

4. go4saket

go4saket Thread Starter

Thanks John! Its really a very good software. Just a few dounts related to this software...

I choosed to backup the file in zip format with blowfish encryprion and so I got a file named ----.zip.enc as the final backed up file. Now to decrypt this, do I have to use this softares decrypting tool only or is it possible to decrypt it with some other software also, obviously using my password.

Secondly, as one of my machines on which I am going to use this software is on Widows 98 with only 128 MB RAM, I guess this software will be a bit heavy on resources. So, can you suggest me some other software which is very light on resources.

5. Solei

Solei

Hi guys I use Acronis True Image for making full backups.
    It has a sheduling option, but I'm not sure if any backup software can create backups of th single file or folder in its particular time.

6. dwightschrute22

dwightschrute22

it's a pay service but I really like logmein backup; it sends your files from one PC to another and you can schedule it to happen whenever. I really like it

7. JohnWill

I presume you use their decryption capability, but I just use unencrypted ZIP files. Unless there's some screaming reason to encrypt your backups, I suggest the simple approach.

I don't know why you think that Cobian has excessive overhead, I suspect it'll work fine with your W98 system.

8. go4saket

go4saket Thread Starter

I want to create a batch file that I can execute before starting any backup. I basically want to display a message to close all running applications as the backup is going to start. After the message is dsiplayed, I want the batch file to pause for some specific time before the execution of the batch file is over. Moverover, if a person presses any key, the batch file should close immediately, without waiting any further.
    Ig i use the function "Pause", it keeps waiting till the time a key is pressed.

Can you please tell me how can this be achieved. The batchfile should be some thing like mentioned below, except the pause command where the new wait command is to be given...

@echo off
    cls
    ehco "Close all applications as backup is about to start..."
    pause
    @echo on

9. JohnWill

10. go4saket

go4saket Thread Starter

Thanks a lot everyone and specially John! At last I have what I wanted and that is because of you all...

11. JohnWill

You're welcome. :)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485069

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice