1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Backups

Discussion in 'General Security' started by aidee12, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aidee12

aidee12 Thread Starter

Hi,
    If I Backup on a USB Memory Stiick, and Backups are done on a weekly schedule, can I leave the memory stick in my computer in case I forget to put it in
    AD

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i would not recommend you backup to a USB memory stick device - they are great for transporting documents, but I would not use as a backup

you can leave in a PC - is this a desktop or laptop ?

get a decent USB harddrive and anything thats really important needs to be backed up in at least 2 places and 1 version kept offsite

3. ChumCaster

ChumCaster Banned

I'll take the middle ground here. A pendrive may be OK for document backup, and it may be adequate for a full system backup for some users. I would certainly agree that an external hard drive is the best backup solution for a full system image where there are large amounts of data involved, but many home users just use a computer as an Internet appliance. And I'd also agree that it is always desirable to have multiple copies of any critical files. Even if you are a home user with simple backup requriements, I'd suggest using a couple of pendrives, in alteration. to store your backups. Murphy's Law.

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

I would not leave the USB flash drive always plugged in. If the USB plug is difficult to reach to, buy a USB hub which would have several slots and place it on the desk.

5. aidee12

aidee12 Thread Starter

Hi everybody,
    Thanks to everyone who helped.
    Thanks again,
    AD

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090012

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice