1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: BackWeb Plug-in Message

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lenda, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lenda

lenda Thread Starter

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place or not. There's a message on my computer that says "BackWeb Plug-In. Outdated database version. Please exit and reinstall BackWeb."

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of this? It stays on my screen almost the whole time I'm on the computer.

Thanks!

Lenda

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, The computer will not miss BackWeb, it's just a system of updating parts of Windows that is not needed/ Uninstall it from Add/Remove Programs.

Updates for things HP and other brands of computers come with-

http://www.castlecops.com/s356-BackWeb.html

If you do want it you can reinstall /download it but I need to know the brand of computer you are using.

3. lenda

lenda Thread Starter

I don't mind removing it if it's not needed, but I don't know what it's called in the control panel. Nothing there called Backweb Plug-in. If it helps, I have an HP, product #PX743AA-ABA and model #A1110n.

Thanks for your help!

Lenda

4. Byteman

Hi, I had the name wrong, sorry!

These days, it is called this: Updates from HP or Compaq Connections

from this page:

Right location, just the name is changed. There are not that many Updates that I've seen from HP, I have one here, too. I still have the BackWeb installed, and I set the settings in SpyBot to not detect it.
    (I am pretty sure I disabled it from running somehow, long time ago)

If you look around you might find out the reason BackWeb is not updating itself... Note that you can reinstall BackWeb.

SpyBot and other spyware removers can remove this if the user does not understand what it is- though, SpyBot for one does not automatically remove it anymore, it does detect it.

Could be something like that happened to yours...I'm not sure.

5. lenda

lenda Thread Starter

I uninstalled the program, restarted and the same prompt is still there! Is there something else I should do to get rid of that bugger?

Thanks!
    Lenda

6. Byteman

Hi, Use Start button > Run > type in this:

msconfig (and hit Enter key , or OK)

Look over to the right, under the Startups tab, is there anything in that list that points to BackWeb reminder, HP reminder or anything similar? Uncheck one that you find, if any. You will have to OK that change, and restart. You will see a window about the System Configuration Utility, tell it you will oversee things by setting the box in that window to not popup alerts at each startup.

Don't uncheck anything you are not sure about, in fact, you can post what ones you see that are related to the issue and we can advise you if they do seem to be the culprits, OK? Then you can use the msconfig to set one not to start and see if that one is producing the error about BackWeb.

Also, we would like to see a Hijackthis log, we may be able to spot something using a log:

go to Click here to download HJTsetup.exe
    • Save HJTsetup.exe to your desktop.
    • Double click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
    • By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Hijack This.
    • Continue to click Next in the setup dialogue boxes until you get to the Select Additional Tasks dialogue.
    • Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
    • Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
    • At the final dialogue box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
    • Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then save the log and then the log will open in Notepad.
    • Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
    • Paste the log in your next reply.
    • DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

7. lenda

lenda Thread Starter

I didn't see any reference to BackWeb or HP reminders but I'm pasting a copy of what was in the msconf file.

hkcmd
    HPBootOp
    ybrwicon
    CFD
    IPClient
    IPMon32
    MotiveSB
    CAVTray
    CAVRID
    yop
    OpWareSE2
    qttask
    jusched
    ctfmon
    GoogleToolbarNotifier
    YAHOOM~1
    msmsgs
    AdobeUpdateMana
    Adobe Reader Spe
    Forget Me Not
    HP Digital Imaging
    Kodak Easyshare S
    Kodak software up
    SBC Self Support Tool
    ymetray

This is the Hijack Log. Thanks again!

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 5:11:49 AM, on 1/28/2007
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.5730.0011)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\browser\ybrwicon.exe
    C:\Program Files\BroadJump\Client Foundation\CFD.exe
    C:\Program Files\Visual Networks\Visual IP InSight\SBC\IPClient.exe
    C:\Program Files\Visual Networks\Visual IP InSight\SBC\IPMon32.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\SBCSEL~1\SMARTB~1\MotiveSB.exe
    C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Antivirus\CAVTray.exe
    C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Antivirus\CAVRID.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\YOP\yop.exe
    C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPageSE2.0\OpwareSE2.exe
    C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\1.2.908.5008\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
    C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\browser\ycommon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Antivirus\ISafe.exe
    C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\KodakCCS.exe
    c:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare Software\bin\EasyShare.exe
    C:\Program Files\Kodak\KODAK Software Updater\7288971\Program\Kodak Software Updater.exe
    C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Yahoo! Music Jukebox\ymetray.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\SBC Self Support Tool\bin\mpbtn.exe
    C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Antivirus\VetMsg.exe
    C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqSTE08.exe
    C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\ALCXMNTR.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\AGRSMMSG.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\MESSEN~1\YAHOOM~1.EXE
    c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\hphmon06.exe
    C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
    C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe
    C:\Program Files\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=EN_US&c=Q305&bd=pavilion&pf=desktop
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iesearch&locale=EN_US&c=Q305&bd=pavilion&pf=desktop
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://att.yahoo.com/
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/cus.../sbcydsl/*http://www.yahoo.com/search/ie.html
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://update.spysubtract.com/spdbu...=&430=5cfd8cc5&195=2.61&171=&172=&500=2&501=0
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1
    R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
    O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
    O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: Yahoo! IE Services Button - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\Common\yiesrvc.dll
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
    O2 - BHO: SidebarAutoLaunch Class - {F2AA9440-6328-4933-B7C9-A6CCDF9CBF6D} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\browser\YSidebarIEBHO.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: HP view - {B2847E28-5D7D-4DEB-8B67-05D28BCF79F5} - c:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\HPDTLK02.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPBootOp] "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Boot Optimizer\HPBootOp.exe" /run
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [YBrowser] C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\browser\ybrwicon.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BJCFD] C:\Program Files\BroadJump\Client Foundation\CFD.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IPInSightLAN 02] "C:\Program Files\Visual Networks\Visual IP InSight\SBC\IPClient.exe" -l
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IPInSightMonitor 02] "C:\Program Files\Visual Networks\Visual IP InSight\SBC\IPMon32.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Motive SmartBridge] C:\PROGRA~1\SBCSEL~1\SMARTB~1\MotiveSB.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CaAvTray] "C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Antivirus\CAVTray.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CAVRID] "C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Antivirus\CAVRID.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [YOP] C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\YOP\yop.exe /autostart
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OpwareSE2] "C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPageSE2.0\OpwareSE2.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\jusched.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\1.2.908.5008\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Yahoo! Pager] "C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\MESSEN~1\YAHOOM~1.EXE" -quiet
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [updateMgr] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\AdobeUpdateManager.exe" AcRdB7_0_8
    O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Forget Me Not.lnk = C:\Program Files\Broderbund\AG CreataCard\AGRemind.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Kodak EasyShare software.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare Software\bin\EasyShare.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Kodak software updater.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\KODAK Software Updater\7288971\Program\Kodak Software Updater.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: SBC Self Support Tool.lnk = C:\Program Files\SBC Self Support Tool\bin\matcli.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: ymetray.lnk = C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Yahoo! Music Jukebox\ymetray.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MI1933~1\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra button: AT&T Yahoo! Services - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\Common\yiesrvc.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Connection Help - {E2D4D26B-0180-43a4-B05F-462D6D54C789} - C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\IEButton\support.htm
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Connection Help - {E2D4D26B-0180-43a4-B05F-462D6D54C789} - C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\IEButton\support.htm
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Connection Help - {E2D4D26B-0180-43a4-B05F-462D6D54C789} - C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\IEButton\support.htm (HKCU)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Connection Help - {E2D4D26B-0180-43a4-B05F-462D6D54C789} - C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\IEButton\support.htm (HKCU)
    O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International*
    O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} (YInstStarter Class) - http://files.member.yahoo.com/dl/installs/sbc/yinst.cab
    O16 - DPF: {D18F962A-3722-4B59-B08D-28BB9EB2281E} (PhotosCtrl Class) - http://photos.yahoo.com/ocx/us/yexplorer1_9us.cab
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
    O23 - Service: CAISafe - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Antivirus\ISafe.exe
    O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
    O23 - Service: iPod Service (iPodService) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    O23 - Service: Kodak Camera Connection Software (KodakCCS) - Eastman Kodak Company - C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\KodakCCS.exe
    O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Unknown owner - c:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
    O23 - Service: VET Message Service (VETMSGNT) - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Antivirus\VetMsg.exe
    O23 - Service: YPCService - Yahoo! Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\YPCSER~1.EXE

8. Byteman

Hi, Is that the entire list in msconfig> Startups or the ones that are checkmarked to start up? Are there more there, uncheckmarked?

What we may need to do is reinstall the Updates from HP (or whatever it was called that you uninstalled from Add/Remove Programs....then, uninstall it.

Please do this, when you reply to that one question above:

Open Hijack This and click on the "Open the Misc Tools section" button. Click on the "Open Uninstall Manager" button. Click the "Save List" button. After you click the "Save List" button, you will be asked where to save the file. Pick a place to save it then the list should open in notepad. Copy and paste that list here.

You either get system Recovery discs with your computer, or you don't, can you tell me which is the case?

To reinstall any of the preinstalled software which includes Updates from HP or similar...you use the
    All Programs> Hewlett Packard> HP Tools menu and it will prompt you as to how to reinstall any of the software that comes with your computer.

This page shows you exactly how it looks, for some HP computers, check the entire page down to the end, to learn just what HP Updates is and how it works. When it runs, it appears in the Task Manager.

http://www.hp.com/united-states/cpc/hp/updates_faq.html#6

Start, All Programs, PC Help & Tools, Updates from HP
    or
    Start, All Programs, Updates from HP

http://www.hp.com/united-states/cpc/hp/updates.html

It will either reinstall it from the Recovery partition if your system uses that method, or ask you to place
    the proper CD/DVD in your DC drive tray. For some, you tell it what or click on a button corresponding to the program you want to reinstall and from there on, it is pretty simple and I am sure you will be able to do it.

You are not wanting to run a system recovery or anything like that, just to replace one program that has to do with HP Updates. What you want is Application Recovery, only one program.

Then, after it is reinstalled, you may see some popup baloon things from HP> that is the Backweb software working to bring you ads and such....you can turn this service off, by uninstalling it again from Add/Remove Programs. That may take care of the error on the screen, I'm hoping.

You could keep the program installed for a while and see if it updates something, you may even like
    the "HP Club" ads and notices... some folks do use them.

It could be that someone used an antispyware program such as SpyBot Search and Destroy that detects the Backweb plugin (but does not automatically remove it since this is known not to be serious spyware) but does not remove the entire HP Updates program....and that is when you get error message.

Do what is above, and if you have any problems, feel free to ask here!

9. lenda

lenda Thread Starter

That's all that's listed and they all have checkmarks.

10. lenda

lenda Thread Starter

Thanks! Leaving right now and will try this when I get back. I appreciate all your help.

Lenda

11. Byteman

Hi, Then follow what is in my last post and try to reinstall HP Updates etc.

when you do have it running, this is what it looks like in an Hijackthis log, just for reference, it is from someone else's log, not yours:

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe

Am posting that so you can look for it in logs, after you try installing the Update program....

12. lenda

lenda Thread Starter

Okay, here's the Save List you asked for. Also, I have recovery discs for my computer.

Adobe Flash Player 9 ActiveX
    Adobe Reader 7.0.8
    Agere Systems PCI Soft Modem
    American Greetings® CreataCard® Platinum 5
    ArcSoft PhotoStudio 5.5
    AT&T Yahoo! Applications
    BroadJump Client Foundation
    Canon CanoScan Toolbox 4.9
    Canon ScanGear Starter
    Canon Utilities PhotoStitch 3.1
    Canon Utilities ZoomBrowser EX
    CardRd81
    CCHelp
    CCScore
    CR2
    ebgcInfra
    ebgcRes
    ebgcSDK
    ESSAdpt
    ESSANUP
    ESSBrwr
    ESSCAM
    ESSCDBK
    ESScore
    ESSCT
    ESSgui
    ESShelp
    ESSini
    ESSPCD
    ESSPDock
    ESSSONIC
    ESSTUTOR
    ESSvpaht
    ESSvpot
    Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer
    Granny in Paradise
    Help and Support Additions
    Hijackthis 1.99.1
    HijackThis 1.99.1
    HLPCCTR
    HLPIndex
    HLPPDOCK
    HLPRFO
    Hotfix for Windows Media Format SDK (KB902344)
    Hotfix for Windows Media Format SDK (KB910998)
    Hotfix for Windows XP (KB914440)
    Hotfix for Windows XP (KB915865)
    HP Boot Optimizer
    HP Customer Participation Program 7.0
    HP Deskjet Printer Preload
    HP Image Zone 4.8.6
    HP Image Zone Plus 4.8.6
    HP Imaging Device Functions 7.0
    HP Organize
    HP Photosmart and Deskjet 7.0 Software
    HP Photosmart Cameras 4.5
    HP Photosmart Essential
    HP PSC & OfficeJet 4.7
    HP Software Update
    HP Solution Center 7.0
    HPIZplus450
    Intel(R) Extreme Graphics Driver
    IntelliMover Data Transfer Demo
    InterVideo WinDVD Player
    iTunes
    J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 10
    KBD
    Kodak EasyShare software
    KSU
    Manual CanoScan LiDE 60
    Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
    Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
    Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Hotfix (KB886903)
    Microsoft Internationalized Domain Names Mitigation APIs
    Microsoft National Language Support Downlevel APIs
    Microsoft Plus! Dancer LE
    Microsoft Plus! Digital Media Edition Installer
    Microsoft Plus! Photo Story 2 LE
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable
    Microsoft Web Publishing Wizard 1.52
    Microsoft Works
    Microsoft Works 2000
    MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB927978)
    muvee autoProducer 4.0
    Notifier
    OmniPage SE 2.0
    OTtBP
    OTtBPSDK
    PCDLNCH
    PC-Doctor for Windows
    Photo Organizer
    Photosmart 320,370,7400,8100,8400 Series
    PS2
    QuickTime
    Remove Quicken New User Edition installer
    Sandlot Games Client Services
    Sandlot Games Client Services 1.2.2
    SBC Self Support Tool
    Security Update for Step By Step Interactive Training (KB898458)
    Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB929969)
    Security Update for Windows Media Player (KB911564)
    Security Update for Windows Media Player 10 (KB917734)
    Security Update for Windows Media Player 6.4 (KB925398)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB890046)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB893756)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB896358)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB896423)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB896424)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB896428)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB899587)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB899591)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB900725)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB901017)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB901214)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB902400)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB904706)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB905414)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB905749)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB908519)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB911562)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB911567)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB911927)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB912919)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB913580)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB914388)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB914389)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB917344)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB917422)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB917953)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB918439)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB918899)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB919007)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB920213)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB920214)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB920670)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB920683)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB920685)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB921398)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB921883)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB922616)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB922760)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB922819)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB923191)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB923414)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB923689)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB923694)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB923980)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB924191)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB924270)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB924496)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB925454)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB925486)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB926255)
    SFR
    SFR2
    Sonic Express Labeler
    Sonic MyDVD Plus
    Sonic RecordNow Audio
    Sonic RecordNow Copy
    Sonic RecordNow Data
    Sonic Update Manager
    Super Granny 3 (remove only)
    Super Granny Winter Wonderland (remove only)
    Update for Windows XP (KB894391)
    Update for Windows XP (KB898461)
    Update for Windows XP (KB900485)
    Update for Windows XP (KB904942)
    Update for Windows XP (KB908531)
    Update for Windows XP (KB910437)
    Update for Windows XP (KB911280)
    Update for Windows XP (KB916595)
    Update for Windows XP (KB920872)
    Update for Windows XP (KB922582)
    VCAMCEN
    Visual IP InSight(SBC)
    VPRINTOL
    WildTangent Web Driver
    Windows Installer 3.1 (KB893803)
    Windows Internet Explorer 7
    Windows Media Format Runtime
    Windows Media Player 10
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB867282
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB873339
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB883667
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB885250
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB885835
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB885836
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB886185
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB887472
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB887742
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB888113
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB888239
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB888302
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB890175
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB890859
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB891781

13. Byteman

Hi, This one is what I posted to Uninstall....though, I have seen some things in preinstalled PC's that do not remove their titles from Add/Remove Programs list.

HP Software Update

Is that what you uninstalled? If you have not Re-installed HP Software Update, try to Reinstall it, using the steps I posted> from Start button, All Programs> Hewlett Packard>whatever it calls it on your computer, HP Tools, PC Tools,
    HP Solution Center, etc.
    If you get the thing running it will tell you to put one of your CDs into the drive, or it will reinstall it itself.

Just do not start a Full Recovery>> that will wipe out what is there now, and return the computer to factory settings, which also removes all you have done since you got the computer> all files, programs you installed, etc.
    Reinstalling that program may stop the error messages you were getting, and it can be left installed, unless like a lot of other HP owners, you do not care about the ads and notices they send. If that is true, Uninstall it once more.

You can always go to the HP support area for your PC and see any important notices, by typing in the model ID info from the back of the computer, like this, Presario 5320 US (which is the last one I just worked with in a thread 20 minutes ago)

HPs are usually Pavilions. You know what I mean...model type/family and model number.

You do that at this page:

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html?pageDisplay=support

Then, use the links there, for Support and Troubleshooting, Software and Drivers....etc.

The links in my last reply are from that support area, about HP Updates...you may find more and better specific info using your model number. I hope this helps you!

14. lenda

lenda Thread Starter

Okay I did uninstall the HP Updates. Then I reinstalled "HP Boot Optimizer Data Files". Wasn't sure if this was the right one or not since nothing had the word UPDATES in it. But as soon as resinstalled the data files, I was able to click off the error message. WHEW! I hope it stays off! I think I may be done, lol.

Thank you again for all your help and patience.

Lenda

15. lenda

lenda Thread Starter

Guess I spoke too soon. The message was off until I turned on the computer this morning and now it's back. Should I do anything else or just learn to live with it?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538505

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice