1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Bad block every 60 seconds, help pease!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by andie666, Jan 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. andie666

andie666 Thread Starter

I've hd a good look around my pc today after leaving it in my daughters hands for a week and have found a few problems which have left me clueless!

When I acces the Computer Management it comes up with a "plug in failed to initalize" error every time.

My slave drive which has been fine for 2 years is now telling me it has not been formatted.

In the event viewer it is coming up with a The device, \Device\Harddisk1\D has a bad block error every 60 seconds.

I have also noticed that my master is on location 1 and the slave is on location 0 in the disk properties but seem to be in the right location when looking at disk management page???

I have run seatools in dos mode which did find and repair errors during the long test but this does not seem to have fixed the problem.

My main drive is a maxtor 6Y080L0 and my slave is a samsung SP1654N
    Dell Dimensions 4600
    2.8g processor
    512mb ram

I'm not sure what other info you'll need to help me with any of these issues and I need guidance all the way so please be patient and gentle with me :eek:

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Sounds like the slave drive is failing or has failed.

3. andie666

andie666 Thread Starter

Thanks for replying Bob, hard drives are cheap enough so I don't mind that.

Is there any way I can recover files from the RAW file system? I have a lot of crap on there which doesn't matter but I also have a few priceless personal items which aren't backed up, would hate to lose them.

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

There are some free programs to try and recovery data. I've pretty much stuck to the paid ones.

5. andie666

andie666 Thread Starter

Can you recommend any of the paid ones?

I've been looking at Recover My Files, seems to do what i want but it looks like I'll have to format first, is this right?

I'd rather pay and make sure I get a tool that does exactly what I want, have wedding photos and video on there and loads of other family vids and pics.

I have 50gbs free on my master so i should be able to transfer any recovered data to there no probs.

Thanks again for helping.

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

One I've used is called Easy Recovery from OnTrack.

Again there are free ones and maybe someone will post their experiences with them.

For the future, anything can fail at any time. My recommendation is to backup to at least two different backup drives (they can fail as well).

7. andie666

andie666 Thread Starter

Progress :cool: Have formatted slave and used Recover My Files, all lost data restored and saved yay :D

Still having a couple of problems though:

Management Console still opens with:

Snap-in failed to initialize.
    Name:performance Logs And Alerts Extension
    CLSID:{7478EF65-8c46-11d1-8d99-00A0c913CAD4}

and

When I try to open up add\remove programs it doesn't list anything just opens with a blank page.

I have run sfc scannow but it didn't find anything:confused:

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/670762

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice