Solved: Bad mobo?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cujo668

This is an update about my sisters hp pavilion a210y desktop. I did some troubleshooting with it to find out why nothing happened when it is turned on. Here are the facts:

-In another computer, the hard drive booted up fine and the spinning sounds good so i don't think thats the problem
-I put the power supply in another computer and it booted it up
-The only thing left is the mobo and cpu, which i put in my desktop, and nothing turned on.
-I noticed, with the bad mobo (with her cpu) in her computer, the light on the back from the power supply was flashing, but with no mobo, the light was solid green.

These are my findings, should I purchase a replacement board? Could it be the mobo and cpu, or just one of them? I just wanna know where to go from here. Any suggestions will help.

crjdriver

I would think you have a bad board; cpus are really somewhat hard to kill unless you OC it.

You do understand that you must buy a board from hp correct? You cannot just install a standard atx board; it will not fit a hp / compaq case.

cujo668

sweet man, thanks for all the info, i will have to check out hp's website now for a replacement, hopefully i can swap the cpu

I suspect that you MAY POSSIBLY encounter some problems with the mobo change.

Both boards are shown to be microATX so size wise you should be OK. One problem is that IF HP used a "proprietary" case the new board integrated connectors MAY not align with the case when you install the new I/O shield.

The new board uses a 24 pin main power connector and I suspect the old board PROBABLY used a 20 pin main power connector. If this is correct it MAY also be necessary to purchase a new PSU to use with the new board.

If you intend to use the HP reinstallation/recovery disk(s) to reinstall the operating system, the HP recovery disks are designed to return the machine to ORIGINAL configuration and the recovery disks are going to recognize the fact that the new board is not part of the ORIGINAL configuration and will be installing the SIS chipset drivers and other drivers instead of the VIA chipset drivers and other drivers for the new board.

If the machine is running XP and you change the mobo you MAY have a problem with Microsoft's activation/validation process and MAY have to purchase a new operating system.

If these problems do arise, it still MAY be cheaper to make the changes and "De-HP" the machine by buying the board, PSU and operating system than to pay some outrageous price for a replacement HP "proprietary" board. The main deciding factor to me, would be to see if the new board will align with the HP case.

In my opinion, TigerDirects RMA policy is terrible (I bought a USB enclosure from them and they wanted me to do the RMA through the manufacturer even though they sold the enclosure). If you decide to go ahead and try the repair I would suggest that you locate another supplier that has that particular board that has a better RMA policy should you find the board is not going to fit the case properly and you need an RMA.

Also, before you even consider starting this modification make absolutely sure that the existing memory and processor are compatible with the new board.

Good Luck! :)

cujo668

Are you saying that by installing a new mobo, all her settings will be messed up? even though her hard drive is perfectly fine.

Yes sometimes swapping out the board leads to a drive with all kinds of problems since you have all the old drivers from the old board installed. Usually a reformat is suggested if you do a MB transplant.

You will most definitely need to reinstall windows when changing the motherboard. I didn't want to believe it either when I upgraded my system last week, but no matter what I tried, it wouldn't work. New install of XP, and it fired up immediately. It stinks to have to do it, but it's the only way to be sure.

Here's a decent board that is compatible with everything the old system had:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131460

crjdriver

It is possible to swap boards [even with different chipsets] without doing a reinstall of the os. I have done this a number of times and have always had it work. Here is how to do it.

Ok, here is how you move the os to another mb / system. During this process DO NOT reboot. Tell it later.

1 With the old board still installed, uninstall any software that is dependent on the old board. These are things like onboard sound, onboard video, onboard nic, monitoring software, etc.

2 Go to device manager and change to a standard ide controller. This is absolutely essential if you want to new system to boot. While in device manager delete all devices that are dependent on the old board; floppy controller, usb, etc. If you miss one here, no big deal. The important part is changing to a standard ide controller.

3 Disable [not uninstall] any AV software.

4 Shutdown and do the swap. Power up the new system and enter the bios. Set the time, date, and check your temps in the bios. Save settings and restart.

5 XP will load any drivers it has for your hardware; ie floppy drive, usb, sound, etc. Next you will need to load your chipset / mb drivers and any other drivers that xp does not have. In addition, I always reload the video driver.

cujo668

Thanks guys for your help. I don't know what happened in my troubleshooting, but I tried the power supply swap again and hers didn't work in mine. So I popped mine in heres and it started up fine. So I bought her a new ps and everything works now.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts