1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Bad product key windows 8

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Fouts, Apr 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fouts

Fouts Thread Starter

I have a year old desktop with windows 8. It was unplugged a couple days ...when I plugged back in it tried updating and said I needed to reinstall windows 8. I inserted disc followed instructions then entered product key/activation code from back of computer it said not a good code. Called data doctors...where I bought it they said call Microsoft...after 30plus minutes and Micosoft taking over computer and trying to enter code they told me it was a bad code, maybe a builders code. I called data doctors dropped off computer and while I was there they tried to enter product key with same results. After 3 days I called and I got the run around, so I called the main office in Tempe and was assured it would be taken care of. They now say that the code is valid....and it was my fault because I installed windows 8 wrong...all I did was follow instructions and try to enter code. They want to charge me for reinstalling, after a heated discussion they say now they will install for no charge but there will be a fee for reinstalling asus driver, and my data...I called Microsoft back and asked about what data doctors had told me and they said no way should they be charging and I should have the correct code to use when I need it ...I paid almost 700.00 for this desktop a little over a year ago...any feedback is appreciated. Thanks
    Fouts

2. renegade600

renegade600

If it is oem software the computers manufacturer is responsible for the operating system, not microsoft. Did the disk you use to reinstall come with the computer? or was it another? if another, was it the exact same version that was on the coa sticker on the computer (where you found the key on the back of the computer)? What was the warranty period of your computer?

3. Fouts

Fouts Thread Starter

To Renegade600... Yes it is original windows 8 disc,it was all new computer. Yes sticker was from envelope that disc came in...it came with a year warranty. Microsoft said they might have used a "builders code"...instead of product key...? I am lost and feel that code should go with the disc...but Microsoft says it a bad code. Thank you for your reply

4. Tabvla

Tabvla

Fouts, are you sure that you heard correctly...? You write that Microsoft used the term "builders code" when you spoke to them...?

So, you learn something new every day... yes...? In the 20 years that I have been in the computer industry I have never heard of a "builders code". The guidelines for OEM distributors of MS software are very clear and very detailed. And nowhere in that documentation are the words "builders code" ever used.

Perhaps you heard something else...?

T.

5. Fouts

Fouts Thread Starter

To T,
    Yes from Microsoft, and one of the employees from data doctors...who suddenly is no longer available and the store management says they have never heard of term...but I have a couple of family members who are in the tech industry and they both know of the term. I had never heard of it.
    I am on hold with level two tech from Microsoft, I am done with data doctors...and I have been advised by a few people to buy a new copy of windows 8 and install myself...but I do not want to do that.

6. Tabvla

Tabvla

Hmmm.... interesting.... you can go to the Microsoft Partners Center, which has extensive information about Licencing, OEM, COA, Piracy..... the info goes on forever ..... and not once will you find the term "builders code" used anywhere.

So my doubts persist.

T.

7. valis

valis Moderator

this should clear up any remaining questions:

Please run the MGA Diagnostic Tool and post back the report it creates:
    • Download MGADiag to your desktop.
    • Double-click on MGADiag.exe to launch the program
    • Click "Continue"
    • Ensure that the "Windows" tab is selected (it should be by default).
    • Click the "Copy" button to copy the MGA Diagnostic Report to the Windows clipboard.
    • Paste the MGA Diagnostic Report back here in your next reply.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I would think that "builder's code" is simply another way of referring to OEM System Builder's License (Product Key). That's what I would expect on a legitimate custom build.

9. valis

valis Moderator

ditto. The MGA should show that, however, I believe.

10. Fouts

Fouts Thread Starter

Thank you to all who responded. Problem is fixed after very long phone call with Microsoft level 2 tech.
    Fouts

11. Tabvla

Tabvla

Are you able to elaborate on the "solution" so that we can all learn.....?

T.

12. Fouts

Fouts Thread Starter

Yes all I know is that it is a "known problem" according to Microsoft tech...as they have had issues with reinstalling windows 8 and using product/activation key. Everything was uninstalled and all programs like google earth,iTunes, etcetera were reinstalled automatically with ninite

13. Tabvla

Tabvla

Fouts, in that case I suppose you can mark this Thread as "Solved".

However, you never addressed the excellent responses provided by TerryNet and Valis, which is a little disappointing.

T.

14. Fouts

Fouts Thread Starter

April 28th at 630 pm I thanked everyone who responded, I did not know I had to thank them for the "excellent response" also...
    So thank you.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!