1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Bad stuff happening, freeze/not responding, Startup Repair over and over

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by cheezgirl, Feb 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cheezgirl

cheezgirl Thread Starter

HP Omni 120-1024
    Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) with Service pk 1

Hello, I had a bad day yesterday with our HP all-in-one. In the PM, went to bed all was working fine; in the AM tried to open something and it was slow as snails, Skype program froze, then tried Task Manager (to try and force quit the Skype) and TM froze; then anything I clicked froze until I had to force quit using the power button.

First boot up asked if I wanted to Repair; tried that, 1 hour later able to sign into profile and same problems. Everything I tried to open would freeze, hourglass, and then eventually I'd have to force quit.

I looked at error logs and saw that 3 times in last month were Video Errors. During one of the times I was back on, I updated the drivers for the Video card (just in case). Eventually froze again.

I tried System Restore to last point, and got a message saying there are no system points saved. I thought that was weird because I know I had some restore points (can virus kill them?)

Got back in, tried to run Bitdefender to see if virus, it ran for 1.5 hrs and stopped while in the Windows/System32 folders and never completed. Forced to quit. Then I re-started in Safe Mode w networking and went online to Trend Housecall; ran it, it got to a certain point and froze as well.

Hours later, I got in and DL'd SuperAntiSW and ran that, even though I thought I was good on anti-spywear using MalwareBytes (which btw, froze), it found 250 threats and deleted them. Then I ran Bitdefender (found 0 virus) and also Malware Bytes (now 0).

During all this I created a fresh profile in case the profile was the prob.

Things I did before this happened: The day before I connected my Nikon to the computer and noticed the system wasn't recognizing the camera, I fiddled for a while and then it eventually saw the camera. Otherwise I made no changes to hardware, etc.

This morning I thought I was OK with my new profile and all AV/Spyware clean. Tried to sign-in to Skype and Froze; then all programs freezing with Not-Responding messages again. I had to Force Quit with power button and rebooted again to System Repair. System repair message said there was Hardware problems that needed repair. ??

System Repair did its thing, now back on new profile with computer that freezes and crashes. (No BSOD though, just freeze/Start up repair over and over).

What should be the next step? I have all my files/photos/videos backed up to an external HD. Thanks in advance.

2. dai

dai

what does the bios list for 12v line voltages and cpu temp

run memtest on the ram 1 stick at a time

http://www.memtest.org/

d/load and run the h/drive makers diagnostic utility on the h/drive

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

freezing with no error messages usually indicates heat or power as the problem

what are you running
    video card brand and model
    cpu
    m/board
    ram
    power supply
    brand
    model
    wattage

check the listings in the bios for 12v line voltages and cpu temperatures and post them

3. cheezgirl

cheezgirl Thread Starter

I'm wondering if this should be moved to virus/malware. Last night I was able to get on the internet and I tried yet another online scan (this time Panda). I went to bed when it was at 20%. This morning it was at 30% and stuck in the Windows folders again. So virus scans and malware scans all stopping in those folders. Does that suggest anything?

I'm sorry that I don't know how to find this out.

Embarrassed that I visited this page and saw so many links I wasn't sure what to run.

I can try this tonight

I hope that I did not use the wrong term. The 'freeze' is more like a "hang". I get the hourglass spinning round and round on launching any program, and then Task Manager "not responding". Eventually I have to just quit. I probably should not have used the word freeze, as I still have a mouse, I just get extremely slow response or not-responding on programs I try to launch. Of note, if I restart, I can go directly to the internet with no problems. It's when I try and open any programs that I get the very, very long response time, and eventually the windows all say Not Responding.

what are you running
    video card brand and model: Integrated AMD Radeon HD 6320
    cpu AMD Fusion E450 (Zacate) Dual Core Processor (soldered to m/b)
    m/board: WJ7 (Armand) Manufacturer: Quanta; Form factor: Custom 29.1 cm (11.4 inch) x 21 cm (8.2 inch)
    Chipset: AMD Brazos; Processor (N/A because processor is soldered to motherboard).

ram: (came loaded with 4 GB; Speed: PC3-10600 MB/sec; DDR3-1333) I upgraded using Crucial memory to 8 GB

power supply:
    90W; Input voltage: 100-127V/3A (50-60Hz) 200-240V/2A (50-60Hz); Output voltage: 19V; brand Unknown

I did not have time to try this yet.

I'm considering a full system restore to factory settings, I have everything backed up, would you suggest this?

EDITED to add: I did see in the event viewer a ton of errors mentioning SATA, one after another. Also a bunch of errors about a driver file that when I googled, it was for something I don't have on the computer. Error messages that said "this driver is not compatible with your system" (or similar).

4. rainforest123

rainforest123

NOPE! The problem could be hardware, which is also suggested by the symptoms you described.

Certainly worth consideration, but a rootkit virus will withstand a re-format, & a BIOS infection, while rarer than a rootkit infection, also is a possibility.

To add to dai's excellent suggestion,
    Create a bootable disk for Memtest86+
    Home page for Memtest86+
    http://www.memtest.org/
    Download .iso at http://www.memtest.org/#downiso
    Run it for at least 8 hours, or until an error appears.

RF123

5. cheezgirl

cheezgirl Thread Starter

Looks like you are correct, this is hardware.

I found on HPs site directions to burn a diagnostics tool and it ran the whole system, came back SATA short firmware self test, failed; and SATA smart log test, failed.

I wish I would have had my head on straight when this first happened and poked around to see what tools I had. At least now I have 3 recovery discs and know what is the problem.

thanks for your help.

6. dai

dai

glad you have it sorted,see if the drive is still under warranty

7. rainforest123

rainforest123

cheezgirl:
    Congratulations.

Thanks for the update.

When you are satisfied with the results of your problem, please mark this thread solved.

Keep us posted.

Best of success.

RF123

8. cheezgirl

cheezgirl Thread Starter

The HP website doesn't state the brand, calling it "standard" and the warranty tool found that my computer (which feels brand new) warranty ended 3 months ago. Seems like a short life span for a HD!

9. dai

dai

with hard drives you never know,some last for years others a very short time

10. rainforest123

rainforest123

YUP! Just like tyres for bicycles, motorcycles, trucks & automobiles, air craft, and train wheels.

Wheels for high speed trains in France & Germany are checked daily for flaws.

unsubscribed

RF123

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!