1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Bag Worms ??

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by Noyb, Aug 6, 2006.

Advertisement
  1. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

I have never seen anything like this and I think I have been invaded, along with a few neighbors.

Is this Bag Worms ?
    Have I lost a tree or will it Recover ?

Attached Files:

• 102.jpg
      102.jpg
      File size:
      129.5 KB
      Views:
    • 100.jpg
      100.jpg
      File size:
      162.1 KB
      Views:
  2. Galium

Galium

Don't see your thumbnail...
    If they look like small pine cones from a distance and they wiggle they are bag worms.
    Try to repost the photo and then I can tell you what it is and treatment.

3. carolm0108

carolm0108

get ahold of Galium on here she not only my mother but also a horticultuist she should know what they are

4. carolm0108

carolm0108

she beat me to the punch

5. Galium

Galium

Yep they are bag worms. I'll get back to you when I find my notes on bagworms. Don't want to miss telling you anything.

6. Gabriel

Gabriel Account Closed

7. Noyb

So far ….
    I’ve read that I have to remove all the bags - and that would almost be Mission Impossible.
    They are all over the tree .. but it only shows “Brown” on the part I took a picture of.

I really don’t want to loose this tree, but I have a hunch that new one would almost be as expensive as the treatment.

If it won’t recover .. I’m thinking I might as well remove the tree .. Bags n All.
    So far, the Brown side is not the visible side from the front of the house.

This has been a Weird Summer in Indiana ... Strange weeds are also all over my yard.
    Next year, It looks like I'll have to be more aggressive with my yard treatments also.

8. Galium

Galium

OK, thumbnails are small but it looks like one of those trees is a spruce.
    I see an extensive amount of damage. Looks like they have been feeding for quite a while. Unfortunately when they are on evergreens they look like pine cones and folks miss them.
    I try to manage insects naturally unfortunately you need something more drastic.
    It's difficult to kill the bagworms when they are snug in those bags. Try spraying with Sevin or another commercial insecticide for bagworms.
    For continued control you might want to try Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis).
    If you are able remove as many of the bags as possible and destroy them.
    Bagworms girdle twigs and kill growing tissues. The branches I see will most likely not recover.
    Best time to treat for the bagworms is Spring (for future reference).
    As long as you can identify the offending culprit IE. insect then the Internet is loaded with great information. The site that Gabriel suggested.
    The problem is identification-I have had some experience here and sometimes even I get stumped.
    Good luck if you have questions I'll check this thread tomorrow.

9. Galium

Galium

The brown part is dead.
    Unfortunately bagworms, like a cold, are very contagious. Even if you remove the tree, which is very likely, those critters are in your neighborhood.
    Check out other trees on your property primarily evergreens. It wouldn't hurt to use Bt in the spring on them too.

10. Noyb

A neighbor has the same kind of tree and it’s in worse shape than mine.

This must be a quick “kill” ... I noticed the “brown” only a week ago.
    The tree is about 16 > 20 feet tall .. and I don’t know how to get the top bags off .. Maybe I’ll think of something.

The fact that the dead part won’t recover is what I was wondering about …
    and will influence my decision tomorrow when I go shopping for ”BT“ or new trees.
    The fact that my wife doesn’t like this tree will also be a contributing factor …. I suspect sabotage. :D

I hear that Fall is a good time to plant trees.

11. Galium

Galium

Before I sign off
    FYI-the bags contain the larvae and the adults have wings and are moths.
    If your neighborhood is infested you may want to talk to them about Bt treatment for the spring. Larvae ingest the Bt as they feed and will kill them.

Wanted to share something with you a homeowners nightmare.
    I have a friend who is a landscaper. He and his wife went to a craft show near their home. A woman was selling wreaths covered in pine cones. She had sold quite a few. My friend looked at the cones and gasped. She was selling wreaths covered in bagworms.
    People were taking them home to put on their doors.
    Imagine what happens to their landscape when the larvae mature......:eek: :eek: :eek:

12. Noyb

Thanks a bunch for the replies … I think I’ll mark this solved and go check my other landscaping.

It's not solved yet ... But I have the info I was looking for.
    Thanks again.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489994

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice