1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Bandwidth Issues

Discussion in 'Networking' started by NeroDrusus, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NeroDrusus

NeroDrusus Thread Starter

Hey,

Basically we have recently upgraded to a 100M connection but are having issues with the bandwidth we receive.

Normally I'd blame the ISP and complain at them till something happens but there are some weird things.

Basically one guy consistently receives 50M according to internet speed tests, while the rest of us have never measured above 10M. It should be noted that he is on a Mac and the rest of us are PCs.

Having retested repeatedly at different times of day, wired and wireless etc we all still get far less than this one guy.

My network settings says that my LAN connection is 100M but my internet claims to never even reach a fraction of this. Are there any obvious ways to improve my connectivity?

Oh and as far as I can tell I have no background processes scanning everything, nor any viruses, though I could be horrendously wrong...

Thanks

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Is it possible that your IT department is using a router with traffic shaping capabilities and have it set to allocate more bandwidth to the Mac user or cap other users at the 10mb/sec speed?

3. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

The 100M LAN speed is just the connection (ethrenet cable) from your computer to the router.
    Doesn't indicate what is happening in the router or on the internet side of the router.

4. NeroDrusus

Hey,
    Regards the two posts so far...

1. I should have been more explicit this is a residential connection so as far as I'm aware there is no IT dept :)... I hope there is no software doing what you suggest as we'd have no idea what to do in that case.

2. Ok, so that value is essentially meaningless.... Well ignoring that why does my house-mate get so much higher speeds?

Thanks for your help so far

5. NeroDrusus

Oh and I don't know if this is even slightly relevant but my upload speeds are higher than my downloads, which just seems wrong to me...

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If this is a standard residential broadband connection, there's no way it's 100Mb unless your bill is in the hundreds of dollars.

So if you're looking at a number that isn't actually displaying the connection speed, how do you know the speeds are different?

7. NeroDrusus

I'm in the UK and yeah its 100Mbps, We are one of the lucky few in a Fibre Optic area... Surprisingly little extra actually...

The numbers we were comparing to get speed were based on online speed tests, i.e. speedtest.net and others. We are making the assumption that these are accurate, are we wrong to trust them?

Thanks

8. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Are all computers connecting directly to the Fibre Optic interface box exactly the same way?

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Assuming that "10M" means 10 Mbps it makes me wonder if there is a 10 Mbps port (on router, switch, wireless access point, computer) that is not used by the MAC, but is used by all the other computers. Secondly, maybe a 100/10 Mbps port that is malfunctioning.

10. NeroDrusus

Sorry being lazy with my typing, 10M is 10Mbps yeah...

Cwwozniak there are a variety of connections but it seems to happen irrelevant of this.
    The Mac gets 45Mbps by wireless or wired straight to the router whereas the rest of us get the same values whether we are wired or wireless... Even if the Mac is off this is still an issue... (in case this was hogging the bandwith)

Hmm, TerryNet your point is kind of where I was leaning, I don't think it can be an issue with the router as we have had it exchanged a couple of times (for other reasons unrelated to this issue) so hopefully not all of them have the same issue....
    The only thing that has stayed constant is the machines connected to it. Any suggestions on checks we can do for Win 7 machines to fix it?

Thanks everyone this is really appreciated.

11. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I would be really surprised to see exactly the same speed with a wired and wireless connection and a wireless Internet connection speed of 45Mbps.

12. NeroDrusus

Slightly generalised, our speeds aren't constant but the range overlaps pretty neatly,
    When I say 45Mbps it varies between 40Mbps and 55Mbps for the Mac, in fact the highest recorded value was wireless, and the PCs have registered between 2Mbps and 10Mbps...
    I really meant that it doesn't seem to affect the value enough to tell which one you are using, performancewise it seems to make no difference,

Sorry for the slightly unhelpful description

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think you're just jealous of that great internet service, DoubleHelix. :D My 12 Mbps cable service tests at about 11.5 Mbps whether I'm using an ethernet or wireless connection. There's no reason why 802.11n devices will not support 50 Mbps. When I first got a 'N' router and adapter I tested copying a large (2 GB) file from an ethernet (100 Mbps) connected PC to a wireless connected one and recorded over 60 Mbps.

No switch involved? The PCs are connected directly to the router, right?

Not sure what the results will really tell, but try copying a large file from one PC to another. Might want to try several combinations of wired and wireless connections. PCs should be idle except for the copy. You don't need to be exact. Just note the minutes and then do the math to convert bytes and minutes to bits and seconds.

Two suggestions for a large file--use TrueCrypt (if you are familiar) or similar to create a large volume (that's where my 2 GB file came from) or download, say, Ubuntu; the .iso file will be around 800 MB.

14. prunejuice

prunejuice

Many ISP advertise "Fibre Optic Service", when they really mean fibre optic from hub to trunk not trunk to home.

Big (misleading) difference.

15. NeroDrusus

Hey,
    Thanks guys,

TerryNet I'll try that in the morning,

prunejuice, we're lucky in our area there is some special thing on that makes it quite cheap to get trunk to home,

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029105

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice