1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Banner at start-up.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by chuck-HD, Apr 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chuck-HD

chuck-HD Thread Starter

I Have a banner ad for trend micro to buy anti-virus and anti-spyware software.
    It comes up every time i boot the computer.
    Is there any way to get rid of it.
    chuck:mad::eek:(n)

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Chuck:

Do NOT click on or respond to any banner or pop-up that appears that tries to entice you to install or buy something. The end result will likely be infecting your computer with rogue antivirus/antispyware programs. :(

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Go here and download HijackThis 2.0.2, install it, restart your computer, run a scan with it, save the log in Notepad, then copy-and-paste the entire log here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

It most likely is in startup. Why not go "Run,msconfig,ok,startup" and see what you see there for trend Micro and unceck it hit apply and reboot. What antivirus program are you using?

4. chuck-HD

chuck-HD Thread Starter

I'm useing Norton internet security. The ad is legitimate. I just want it to go away.

5. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

What makes you think the ad is legitimate? Why would Trend Micro install a banner ad on your desktop?

Were you using Trend Micro before installing Norton?

6. Phantom010

Please do as flavallee asked:

Please download and install HijackThis.

Run it and select Do a system scan and save a logfile.

The log will be saved in Notepad. Copy and paste the log in your next post.

Do not fix anything.​

7. chuck-HD

chuck-HD Thread Starter

i was using trend micros antispyware. Then the new one came out with an anti-virus program too. Since Norton already had an anti-virus program i didn't download it. but the ad for me to continue using it keeps coming back. I still use the old spyware program from TrendMicro.

8. Phantom010

Well that's pretty annoying indeed.

As suggested, go to Start / Run / type msconfig

Under the Startup tab, try to locate a Trend Micro entry that could explain this behavior. If nothing else shows but the anti-spyware, I would flush a program that flashes ads at Startup!

There are better alternatives out there like SAS and MBAM.

9. chuck-HD

chuck-HD Thread Starter

I'll check my Norton program. it may have a spyware section in it. Then i'll get rid of Trend Micro.

10. Phantom010

Wouldn't hurt though to get the free versions of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, SuperAntiSpyware and SpywareBlaster.

11. Michael York

Michael York

Hi Chuck,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

Norton Internet Security 2007-2009 contains protection against spyware and many other threats. TrendMicro is a real-time scanner and I would advise you to remove it, as you never want to have more than one real-time antivirus/internet security application running at the same time or it can cause conflicts and leave your computer vulnerable to infection..

If you have not already done so, manually run LiveUpdate from within Norton Internet Security, possibly multiple times, until it informs you that there are no more updates available. Make sure you restart after the updates have been installed.

When the updates are complete, restart your computer into Windows Safe Mode, open Norton Internet Security and complete a "Full System Scan" to check for infections.

If by chance you are using Norton Internet Security 2006-2008, and have a valid subscription, you are entitled to a free update to the 2009 version , which I highly encourage. The 2009 version of Norton Internet Security contains many new and enhanced features to keep your computer protected against the latest threats. Please NOTE, while this process will update you to the latest version of your Norton product it will not extend your subscription. To update, please visit the Norton Update Center at the link below.

Norton Update Center

Thank you,
    Mike

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/820454

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice