Solved: Bare Bone Kit unable to boot

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cherbrig

I just bought one of those Bare Bone Kits, that come with the tower mother board, video card, network card and sound card. I transfered my cd rom and hard drive from my old computer. I am unable to get it to boot up, it make a series of beeps then a long beep, then will repeat the beep process. Also my monitor light is yellow not green. Is there anyone out there that might be able to help me?

Cheryl

You will need to do a repair install of your operating system IF it is a retail version. If it is OEM, you'll need to get a new copy.

Operating systems are configured for the particular hardware that is in the current computer. If you move the drive, it wants your old board, BIOS, etc...

The beeps may indicate incompatible RAM.

Please post your old and new system specs for further instruction.

But it's not getting to POST, so although the above is correct that Windows will violently object if not reinstalled on the new hardware, that is not todays problem.

The key here is the exact number of beeps, as "a series of beeps and a long beep" is not enough info.

The beeps are the motherboard telling you exactly what is wrong, we need to know how many short beeps (how many short and long in the pattern).

That's why I asked for system specs on the old and new system, so we know if we have new RAM, etc...

cherbrig

How do I find the specs...I am getting 3 short beeps...The ram is new, came with the bare bone kit..DDR

As a barebones unit it should still post straight out of the box.
Unplug everything that you installed and try again, if it still wont post send it back

The beeps usually indicate RAM failure, but as Bigbear advised, send it back. That should have posted with one single beep and gone to a screen saying it had no operating system to use.

Since you bought it recently, you should get it replaced.

cherbrig

bigbear said:
As a barebones unit it should still post straight out of the box.
Unplug everything that you installed and try again, if it still wont post send it back
Just wanted to say thank you...I did like you said and unplugged everything that I had installed...And reinstalled only the cd drive and the hard drive...Everything is working like it should...Again thank you!

Glad to have been of help(y)
You can mark the thread solved by using the thread tools in the upper right hand corner

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online