Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Bare Bone Kit unable to boot

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  bigbear 
#1 ·
I just bought one of those Bare Bone Kits, that come with the tower mother board, video card, network card and sound card. I transfered my cd rom and hard drive from my old computer. I am unable to get it to boot up, it make a series of beeps then a long beep, then will repeat the beep process. Also my monitor light is yellow not green. Is there anyone out there that might be able to help me?

Cheryl

#2 ·
You will need to do a repair install of your operating system IF it is a retail version. If it is OEM, you'll need to get a new copy.

Operating systems are configured for the particular hardware that is in the current computer. If you move the drive, it wants your old board, BIOS, etc...

The beeps may indicate incompatible RAM.

Please post your old and new system specs for further instruction.

#3 ·
But it's not getting to POST, so although the above is correct that Windows will violently object if not reinstalled on the new hardware, that is not todays problem.

The key here is the exact number of beeps, as "a series of beeps and a long beep" is not enough info.

The beeps are the motherboard telling you exactly what is wrong, we need to know how many short beeps (how many short and long in the pattern).

#8 ·
bigbear said:
As a barebones unit it should still post straight out of the box.
Unplug everything that you installed and try again, if it still wont post send it back
Just wanted to say thank you...I did like you said and unplugged everything that I had installed...And reinstalled only the cd drive and the hard drive...Everything is working like it should...Again thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.