1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: .BAT files will not run

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Sparticus039, Nov 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sparticus039

Sparticus039 Thread Starter

Hey everyone,

I'm currently running a Minecraft server and have been attempting to allocate more memory to the server. Now, I have searched online and determined that if I run a batch file with the correct information, it will correctly allocate the amount of memory to this server. That's all fine and dandy...

I am able to create a text document, edit the information to suit my needs, and then save it as a batch file in the server's folder. The problem I am having is, I can't seem to get the .bat file to run. When I click on it to run, it simply flashes as though it opened and closed immediately, leaving me no time to ensure it is running. (no, it's not saved as a txt file)

Any ideas what could be causing this problem?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Where is the server's folder located? Where is the memory that you are trying to allocate?

Ruuning it from a command line window will allow you to see any errors or outputs from the file.

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Once the code is executed the cmd window is going to close. That is how it works. If you need the cmd Windows to stay open then put a PAUSE at the end of your batch file or do what Elvandil said and run it from cmd prompt.

4. Sparticus039

-The server folder is located on my desktop (I chose an arbitrary location, so it can move if needed).
    -I am not sure, I am trying to allocate RAM, so...location...unknown to me.
    -Running it from a command line window gives me this error: 'java' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I uninstalled Java and re-installed the latest build (build 1.6.0) thinking that it may be the problem, but it still occurs.

I have now tested this on my work PC and receive the exact same problem...Could it have something to do with having a 64-bit OS?

5. Sparticus039

I have actually resolved the issue...

Apparently the text I had used in my batch file was incorrect.

Thanks for the help anyways!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027806