1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: battery dead

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chippynut, Oct 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chippynut

chippynut Thread Starter

A young friend as a dell inspiron laptop with a dead battery and he thinks it should run on the charge lead but i say it will not produce enough power to run a o/s with out it freezing or even run on safe mode unless he fitts a new battery, but he thinks the problem with freezing and not running must mean a major component problem because it runs for five minutes on safe mode and then packs up, am i right should i buy him a battery just to prove this, thanks for any help.:confused: p/s os is vista.

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Laptops can run just fine on a/c power. However if its not running right on that then there is other problems such as a power supply, motherboard, harddrive etc.If the computer doesnt have any problems at all then you can replace the battery and it should be ok.Just make sure the replacement battery is the correct one for that computer.

3. chippynut

chippynut Thread Starter

Thanks sueohio, this lads laptop will only run for five minutes on the power lead in safe mode if i start it up in normal mode it freezes and will sit like that for a hour or more, the battery as been dead for two years and i would have thought that you would have needed some battery power plus the mains, but when you test the battery with the on board button at the back of the battery the five little lights come on and this is throwing us, thank you.

4. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Well i guess if on a/c power its not working right then maybe you can take it somewhere and see whats wrong.it could be anything but someone will be able to give you a better answer.

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    It should run from the charger alone or with battery and charger.

As it doesn't run for more than 5 minutes I think there is something wrong elsewhere, software or hardware.

Does the laptop get very hot ? Can you hear the fan at all ?

6. chippynut

chippynut Thread Starter

Thanks for every ones help, i did not realise a laptop would run without any battery, in the end i started to test diferent components and found that it only had one 512 of ram working the other strip if put back in prevents the pc from booting up, i think vista needs far more ram than 512 and i will get the lad to purchace two gig, i have in fact never owned a laptop and was very wary of stripping it but with the help of utube videos it went ok, thank you all.

7. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Vista and windows 7 need at least 2gb of ram to run properly. Windows xp does just fine on 512mb to 1 gb.Laptops for me at least are very easy to work on.Towers i wont even attempt to try to fix.With laptops you remove the battery and power cord and then you can see what needs done. On towers even with no power you still have static electricity to worry about.You are very welcome.You can mark it as solved if all is well now.

8. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024812

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice