1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: beep sequence, blank monitor - turn laptop on!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by blann, Jul 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blann

blann Thread Starter

Hey all,

I really hope you can help - it's urgent! My lenovo laptop was working fine 12 hours ago. I closed it and it went to sleep, but now I can't get it to turn on. I thought maybe I could fix it by turning it off and then on, so I hit the power button. The monitor wont come on! The fan comes on and the panel lights come on like normal and then go out with only the battery and "circle with Z in it" lights staying on. It then beeps really loud like this: BEEP pause 3 BEEPS pause 3 BEEPS pause BEEP. I'm really freaking out because I need to finish something on it tonight. I tried taking the battery out and cleaned out around there. I turned it off and on with no battery - just plugged in instead - no dice. I tried turning it off and on with battery + plugged in and battery without plugged in - neither of those worked. I tried holding the power button for 30 sec so that it turned on and then off, but it's still the same. Please help!!

blann

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor

Beep codes for Lenova laptops
    Beep symptoms Symptom or error Service part or action, in sequence One beep and a blank, unreadable, or flashing LCD.
    1. Reseat the LCD connector
    2. LCD assembly
    3. External CRT
    4. System board
    One long and two short beeps, and a blank or unreadable LCD.
    1. System board
    2. LCD assembly
    3. DIMM
    Two short beeps with error codes. POST error. See Numeric error codes for more help.
    Two short beeps and a blank screen.
    1. System board
    2. DIMM
    Three short beeps, pause, three more short beeps, and one short beep.
    1. DIMM
    2. System board
    One short beep, pause, three short beeps, pause, three more short beeps, and one short beep.
    1. DIMM
    2. System board
    Only a cursor appears. Reinstall the operating system Four cycles of four short beeps and a blank screen. System board (Security chip) Five short beeps and a blank screen. System board

3. Macboatmaster

I am sorry to tell you but it looks as though you may have a serious problem.
    The first matter to try is to check the ram.
    That is memory, usually accessible from a removable plate on the base of the laptop,
    If you no longer have the manual you may obtain it from this site.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-46018.html

DIMM is memory and yours will look something very similar to this

Attached Files:

4. Pago

Pago

Sounds like a ram issue. Try swaping out the sticks and see what happens.

5. blann

blann Thread Starter

Thanks to both of you! I think you're right. I took the memory thing out and put it back in and it let me turn it on but once it went to sleep again, the same thing happened. I'll have to take it to a tech store and see if I can get more RAM. Thanks again!!
    blann

6. Macboatmaster

How many sticks of ram were there.

7. blann

blann Thread Starter

Umm I think there were 2..? I didn't actually have the confidence to not screw it up so I asked my friend to do it. He also ran defragmentation (or something..) on it since then so everything seems to be okay for now

8. Macboatmaster

Thank you for posting back
    Mark the thread solved please.

9. blann

blann Thread Starter

woops ya sry

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1005255