1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Belkin F7D4402 uk v1 network issue

Discussion in 'Networking' started by eddie1234567, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. eddie1234567

eddie1234567 Thread Starter

Hi guys and gals

I had a WAG160N router that worked great on my network and had over 7mb download from SKY Broadband.

The only trouble with this router is that it would not let you connect to other machines or print all the time, almost as if it forgot that the printer was connected wirelessly and you had to get down unplug router, plug it in again and try again. You could connect to the net, it just wouln'dt let you speak locally.

This got a pain so I bought the Belkin F7D4402 UK (V1). Since I opened the box I have had issues with it.
    1. Wouldn't connect to internet, so cloned Mac Address from original SKY one, it connected ok.
    2. It won't load web pages other than Google when online, you can do any search you want and all you can see is the results, if you try to visit a site nothing
    3. When it does then connect properly, it slows speeds down to 1.5mb (if lucky)
    4. When using 5ghz channel on modem it would only load partial web pages
    5. When using 2.4ghz channel on modem it's slow.
    6. When changing MTU to 1500 stops all traffic (old wag was 1500)
    7. Put the Wag back on and right back to 7mb
    8. The status page of the Belkin does show downstream at 17000kb just like the wag

its PPOA, VIC/VPI 0, 38, MTU 1454, vmux encaps.,

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the latest firmware; then reset it to factory default settings and reconfigure it (remember the MAC clone). If you have the WAN configured the same as on the old modem/router and still get those terrible results exchange the Belkin for a working model.

3. eddie1234567

Thanks Terry, got fed up with it, tried it on a couple of mates networks (just in case it was SKY detecting somthing else) but nope didn't work.

Took it back to PC World and bought the Netgear DGND3300.

Which to add insult to injury does not support (by the looks of it does not support Mac Address cloneing)

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    To add salt to insult to injury page 144 of the manual says you may have to do the clone. :p

Figure 6 shows MAC Address setting or cloning, but appears to apply only if ISP does not require a login. Maybe if necessary try setting that, and then change to 'needs login' and hope the MAC doesn't change.

5. eddie1234567

Cheers for reply.

Yeap, had gone through the manual like a dose of salts trying to find "what the heck...." answers.

I tried putting in the MAC from the "doesn't need login" page, saving and switching it back to needing login.

The ADSL port now shows the MAC I put in but won't connect.

My thinking is:
    1. Something else is broadcast along with the MAC that says this is not SKY router (although my old WAG took the clone address fine)
    2. It is displaying the MAC of the old SKY router but because I have it on need a login it is sending the MAC of the actual port.
    3. In all un-probabililties (word madeup for the occassion) I have had two faulty routers from two different manufacturers in a week.

I have a call into Netgear to see if they can shed some light on it. What I really need is some tool to be able to plug in and monitor what is ACTUALLY going down the line to SKY on the WAN port

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you're familiar with packet sniffers (I'm not) maybe any computer could be such a tool? But, what is sent by the modem may depend at least to some extent on what is sent to it.

Or if you found a SKY tech support who was interested in tackling a non-routine issue. Good luck with that!

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Reopening per request.

8. eddie1234567

Hi taken a while to get around to this but can give an update

Unless they (netgear) update the setup in the future what you need to do to clone the address

In basic settings select NO where ISP require a login

This gives you different options so Go to the bottom of the page and set the MAC address you are cloning

Save the setup by applying (I restarted at this stage)

Go back to basic settings and select (without changing any other settings) Yes for your ISP requires a login.

Enter all your details and save by applying.

Now the router works fine

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974626

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice