1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Belkin G Wireless Router Problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by DannChaa, Feb 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DannChaa

DannChaa Thread Starter

Hey Guys,

I have had a search around and cant seem to find a post with the same problem as this so im hoping someone out there can give me a hand :)

My friend has a Belkin G wireless router f5d7234-4H v5, he has recently been reconnected to the internet after being cutoff a couple of months ago. Now that his internet is back the router seems to be blocking access, the internet works fine when connected directly to the modem but the router is showing a red light under 'internet'. The 'modem','wired' and 'router' lights are all green and there is no light at all under wireless.

I have tried the following steps -

Resetting router to factory default settings
    Fully rebooting all hardware and switching on in correct order etc.
    Updating firmware for the router and drivers for the network adapter in PC

I have tried running the setup CD again but it says that it cant connect to any network adapters in this computer - even though it works fine connected directly to the internet!

It seems strange that it would suddenly decide to stop working, since no changes to the settings had been made in the period of downtime. It seems like it should be a simple ting to fix, hope someone out there knows how :)

thanks

dan

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Brand and model of the modem?

3. DannChaa

DannChaa Thread Starter

VirginMedia/NTL E08C007

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    My best guess is that the router is defective. After the reset to factory default settings it should just work, with the possible need for cloning the computer's MAC address.

5. DannChaa

DannChaa Thread Starter

cloning the computers MAC address? how would i do that? could it help?

I dont understand how it could suddenly be defective, the router is less than a year old and has only been out of use for a month or 2.

thanks

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    There's always a 'Clone" feature on a router. May be in the WAN section or may be in Tools or Maintenance or something like that. Often if you have the computer in question connected by ethernet it will make the copy (clone) for you; other times you have to type it in. It will help if and only if the ISP is tracking the MAC address of the device connected to the modem. A few still do that.

If you'll allow me to be a little sarcastic ... do you understand how a light bulb suddenly doesn't light? How a tire suddenly becomes flat? How a window suddenly becomes cracked? How a heart suddenly stops beating? My point is that most things are fine until they are not fine.

And your point? I've personally had a router last five years or so. Another last 3 weeks. Another two days. I have returned a USB wireless adapter, a multifunction printer and (still in transit) a network camera because of defects when I first tried to use them.

When trouble shooting the device's age can give clues, but it does not determine anything.

7. DannChaa

DannChaa Thread Starter

ok sarcasm noted, thanks for that, my point was that it is odd for it to suddenly stop working when it has been sat untouched and unused.

my friend decided to buy a new router today, so consider this thread dead.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    OK, but I will be hoping that you report back how the new router works out. :)

9. DannChaa

DannChaa Thread Starter

He bought a Netgear N150 wireless router and it wors just fine, quick and easy to setup

thanks for the help

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

You can mark this solved using the [​IMG] button at the upper left of the page.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!