1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Belkin N+ wireless modem router keeps on dropping connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Satchelmouth, May 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Satchelmouth

Satchelmouth Thread Starter

Hi all,
    My dad recently brought a Belkin N+ wireless modem router for my parents home and asked me to set it up for him (as he is not very tech-savy). I set the router up with no problems whilst the rents were away in Malta on holiday and had no problems for about 4 days.

When they arrived back the internet was still fine until the next day when for no apparent reason the connection dropped and i had to power cycle it to make it work again. Now at least once a say the router will drop the connection and i have no idea why. I have tried every logical combination of settings and i cannot stop it from dropping the connection.

I've called up Belkin tech support but they were useless and told me to try everything I have already tried which is:

Static IP.
    Fixed DNS.
    Power cycling.
    Firmware update.
    Checking the log file.
    Restoring defaults.
    Turning the firewall off.
    Adding MAC addresses of the relevant computers to the routers "safe" list.
    Port forwarding ...

And the list goes on.

All i can think of now is to call BT and post my Router settings here (these are the most stable settings i've found so far).
    Can someone please check out these settings and make sure i haven't done somethign incredibly stupid? I am a software engineering student and fairly confident of my abilities but it would be nice to have another opinion (not Belkins).

LAN Settings:

IP Address: 192.168.2.1
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    DHCP Server: On
    IP Pool Starting Address: 192.168.2.2
    IP Pool Ending Address: 192.168.2.100
    Lease Time: Forever
    Local Domain Name: Belkin

Connection Type:

PPPoA
    IP Assigned by ISP: Yes
    VPI/VCI: 0/0
    Encapsulation: VC Mux
    MTU 1454

DNS:

Automatic from ISP

Wireless Channel: 10
    Extension Channel: 6
    SSID: Chase
    Wireless Mode: 802.11b&802.11g&802.11n
    Bandwidth: 20/40mhz
    Broadcast SSID: Yes
    Protected mode: OFF
    802.11e/WMM QoS: ON

Security:

Security Mode: WPA/WPA2-Personal(PSK)
    Authentication: WPA-PSK+WPA2-PSK
    Wi-Fi Protected Setup: Enabled
    Block ICMP Ping: YES

DDNS: Disabled

Please help me! :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

2. Satchelmouth

It should also be noted that the computers in the house are running XP or Windows 7

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd start with the router and network drivers. This sounds like the last two items in the list would be something to try first, then upgrade your drivers and try different channels.

1. For wireless connections, remove all the stored wireless profiles and search for networks. You'll have to enter the encryption key again, which is sometimes the issue for connection problems.
    2. For wireless connections, change the channel on the router, I like channels 1, 6, and 11 in the US.
    3. For wireless connections, try moving either the wireless router/AP or the wireless computer. Even a couple of feet will sometimes make a big difference.
    4. Update the network drivers (wired and wireless) on your computer to the latest available.
    5. Update the firmware to the latest version available on the manufacturer's site.
    6. Reset the router to factory defaults and reconfigure.

4. Satchelmouth

I have tried all of these things and none of them worked before. Any other ideas or problems with my configuration?

5. JohnWill

Replace the router.

6. eebbesen

eebbesen

I had a similar problem which was driving me nuts: My Belkin dropped the wireless connection several times a day (maybe due to a lot of b traffic in my neighborhood). Since I was VPNed into work, I kept having to login again and again.

What worked? I set Protected Mode to ON. After making this change, I have NOT had any dropped connections.

I experimented with different channels and modes (n only, b and g only, etc.) but none of that seemed to make a difference.

7. Satchelmouth

I have now resolved this by shouting at Belkin and requesting a new router (which works as it should). :)

8. JohnWill

Figured that would be the net result, thanks for the feedback. :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!