1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Belkin router and 3 wireless pc's

Discussion in 'Networking' started by synlupri, Feb 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. synlupri

synlupri Guest Thread Starter

I have a laptop and a desktop both using the wireless connectivity with absolutely no issues for over a year now. About a month ago, I purchased a new Averatec notebook. Everything worked fine until Friday. All of a sudden, out of the blue, my wireless connection one the notebook is getting low and limited connectivity. I used to get Excellent and Good, now it even loses connectivity quite frequently.

I downloaded the October update for this Belkin wireless router model F5D7230-4 from the website, hoping that would help. I restored my new notebook to it original state at the time of purchase, thinking perhaps a file became corrupt. Checked the DHCP clients and lease time. Everything looked good there. (However, the new notebook was showing a lease expiration of January 1904 when I ran ipconfig /all from the command prompt.) Since installing the latest firmware update, that has now changed to January 2038. So at least that looks correct now.

Now here's the really strange part. The signal is Excellent when I sit right next to the router, but when I go upstairs, it becomes low or very low, or no connection at all. Whereas, my other laptop shows excellent at all the same spots in the house. I even tried disconnecting that one, just to see if the new notebook would get a better signal with that one turned off. It didn't work. As a matter of fact, the wireless connection info window pops up constantly telling me I lost connection, or I'm connected again.

How many concurrent wireless connections are allowed at the same time?

One other thing I checked were the updates for my new notebook. And since I just restored it, I know I have all the newest updates.

I do have a wireless phone, however, it is a 5.8 ghz phone, not the old 2.8 ghz ones that produced RF interruptions.

My new notebook is an Averatec 3700 series with a 802.11g wireless.
    My old laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A23 with the same 802.11g wireless.

They are both running XP Home with all the latest updates.
    They both have 512MB RAM.
    Neither have any spyware or viruses (I ran scans for all kinds of threats and came up clean).

Can you please help? I'm at my wits end here.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    anything changed in or around the house - like moving something in the way of the router.

i wonder if theres another wireless network in the area that is causing the problem or someone else with a cordless phone - microwave ????

have you tried netstumbler on the PC and see S/N ratios
    Free software to check signal strength of wireless is netstumbler 0.4.0 available for download from http://www.stumbler.net/

this is an interesting guide to wirless signals
    http://www.sonicwall.com/services/p...nd_Placement_Guide_for_SonicWALL_SOHO_TZW.pdf

i assume the wireless is intergrated into the laptop

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    From your excellent trouble shooting it sounds to me like a problem with the antenna on the notebook. It gets excellent connection close to the router and "loses it" as it moves a moderate distance away. A similar computer maintains good connection in the same places. If you've got a warranty, get in contact with them.

4. synlupri

Well I went to Best Buy today and bought a D-Link range extender G card for my notebook. Supposed to give me 1000 ft instead of the normal 300-400 feet. It gave me a "good" and "very good" connection. But still no excellent like the laptop. And still dropped connection every so often. Not as bad as it was without it, but still....

So, I concur that it must be the antennae on the notebook too. Bummer. But yes, its still under warranty (only a month old).

I'll be hauling it back to the store this weekend, and I will be sure to post whether the replacement does the same thing or not.

Thanks for the help and advice folks.

5. synlupri

Okay, so I exchanged the old Averatec notebook in for a brank spankin new one. Just finished installing WinXP, found my wireless network, connected, and I get low and very low connection. Dagnabit! Oh and surprise surprise, it just dropped my connection altogether. :mad:

So boys and girls, what have we learned today? Well, I suppose we learned that the old notebook was fine and I wasted a whole bunch of time restoring it and setting up the new one as well. The next step is to get a new wireless router to replace the Belkin. Any recommendations? Belkin, D-link, Linksys, others? I really want to get one that will work upstairs and downstairs the same for ALL my pc's.

I guess I will go to Best Buy tomorrow, return the range extender card, and purchase a router. UNLESS, anyone thinks maybe I can get some kind of "repeater" for the upstairs to maximize the signal.

{sigh} this is getting to be a real pain in the "you know what".

Thanks for the help.

Syn

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    You never did answer my questions
    do you want to try the software I posted - it provides a graphical view of the signal power and connectivity. you can at least see when the power drops as you walk around the house

Do you have WEP enabled
    Do you have a cordless Phone
    How many other wireless networks are there in the area
    What transfer speeds are you getting indicated.

a lot of your problem could be interfereance - I have a mate who is the moddle of a laege city and has 30 other networks around - and he kept getting drop outs low signals - eventaully he found a channel where it was most stable - but took a while to work out { he also changed the router twice and also changed the adapters and put an extended aerial on.)

I have the router upstairs in an office and it works fine downstairs - but one side of the dining room table does not work, but it works past that area - also the back backroom which is line of site and just a wall and door gets no signal - but downstairs outside in the garden under where the backbedroom is it works fine.

But it could just be the router - no suggestions on make - I have a D-link and my mates have netgear, actionlink
    so i'll leave that to others to recommend
    you can also get repeaters

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    In addition to ETAF's questions and suggestions, check the Averatec web site for updated driver or utility (what comes with the computer is often out of date by the time you buy it).

If you are using encryption, disable it and see how the new PC works with that. If OK, then reenable the (preferably WPA) encryption.

If the new PC's adapter claims to have any kind of speedbooster option, turn that off if possible.

The Belkin router by default uses a "Turbo Mode > Frame Bursting Mode." Turn that Off and see if that makes a difference with the new PC.

8. synlupri

Realized I never responded. I ended up buying a linksys WRTG54, never a problem since.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!