1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Belkin router codes

Discussion in 'Networking' started by geoff west, Jul 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. geoff west

geoff west Thread Starter

Hello.
    Can you tell me how i can find the Belkin wireless router code as my son has just aquired a new laptop and it will not connect to the internet without plugging a cable into the router. The router model is F5D7632-4 . My computer is on windows xp.

2. Kitch

Kitch

What do you mean by router code?

The wireless encryption key maybe? This would have been set by yourself or whoever set up the router. Have you connected through wireless with this router before?

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You need to configure the router's wireless section and enter your encryption code.

4. welshwatts

welshwatts

Hi Geoff,

I am going to assume you mean that you want the wireless pass key to allow the laptop to connect to the internet through the router wirelessly. This is something you will have to configure yourself or log into the router to discover if it has already been configured.

1. Either sit at a machine that is connected to the router via an ethernet cable or attach the laptop to the router using the same type of cable.

2. Either/or
    XP
    left click the start button and then left click the "run" command (usually found at the bottom of the right hand column).
    Vista
    I cannot remember the exact route to the run command in Vista but it is in the accessories folder I believe.

3. type "cmd" into the white bar and click "ok".

4. In the black "Command Prompt" window that should have appeared type the command "ipconfig" and then press the enter key.

You should get a list of information with three of the items being strings of numbers, the bottom string should read: -
    Default Gateway..........192.168.2.1 (although these numbers may differ if the defaults have been changed) - make a note of these numbers

5. open an internet browser window and instead of typing in a website address, type in the default gateway numbers exactly as you saw them on the command prompt window (including the dots between each number (192.168.x.x)) and press enter.

6. You should now be taken to the web interface for your router, if you know the password then type it in, the default password for belkins is usually blank (as in no password), then click submit.

7. On the left hand side you will see the "Wireless menu", one of the blue bars.

8. Click on the Blue button marked Wireless and in the right hand screen make sure the radio button is to the left of "Enable" and apply changes.

9. Click on the "Channel and SSID" button, you can change the SSID to a name of your choice, ESSID broadcast should be enabled, Mode should be mixed and channel should be auto. Again apply changes

10. Now click on the security button (left side menu bar), set "allowed client type" to your choice (WPA/WPA2 recommeded), leave the other settings as they are and type in a pass key of your choosing, the check box towards the bottom allows your to see what you are typing. Record this key and then Apply changes.

11. Boot up the laptop and when it has settled down do a search for available wireless networks (make sure the laptop is not connected to the router via a cable). You should now see your wireless network which will be named as you named it or the default is Belkinxxx, highlight this network and click connect, enter the pass key that you set and the laptop should connect.

I hope this helps although their maybe slight differences depending on the model of Belkin Router and Firmware version you have.

5. geoff west

I have managed to sort the problem thank you. Your suggestions have helped, thank you very much.
    Regards Geoff West.

6. geoff west

I have managed to sort the problem, thank you .
    Regards Geoff West.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!