1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Belkin router DMZ problems...

Discussion in 'Networking' started by JAYNO20, Sep 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JAYNO20

JAYNO20 Thread Starter

My router works fine, but the problem happens ONLY when i set my xbox 360 outside of the firewall using the DMZ feature. The firewall is ON on my router and then i set my xbox outside of the firewall (which makes xbox live happy) BUT then my computers internet completely stops working.. the only way to get it to work is to turn OFF the firewall all together which then makes my xbox not happy while on live. It seems i can only have one or the other i dont get it, why is my computers internet cutting out when i set the xbox outside of the firewall? I'd set them both outside of the firewall if i could, but the xbox needs to have NAT set to open and the only way i can manage that is by using the DMZ feature (turning the firewall off completely doesnt seem to do it)

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

3. JAYNO20

JAYNO20 Thread Starter

Yes i did try that and the NAT still shows as "strict" and its stopping me from connecting to certain players online.. the only way i can get the NAT to show "open" is if i set it outside the firewall using DMZ and have the firewall ON. Any other way and it shows "strict"

4. JohnWill

5. JAYNO20

JAYNO20 Thread Starter

the router is a brand new wireless N router, it says there are no updates as far as firmware goes, and i didnt try the uPnP, but i'll give that a shot and post back as to whether it works or not. Thanks

6. JAYNO20

JAYNO20 Thread Starter

this quote here tells me that ur probably right about the uPnP:

"Open NAT means that either the port-assignment policy is minimal or the device has a fully compliant version of UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) enabled by default."

if i turn that ON on my router are there any ill side effects? (i know the default setting is off for some security reason)

7. JohnWill

Long ago, uPnP was considered a security risk. I know that Vista likes to see uPnP enabled, and I haven't had any security issues since enabling it. XP before SP1 had a security issue with uPnP, but that's been patched for years.

8. JAYNO20

JAYNO20 Thread Starter

OK hopefully this will fix it up... i'll test it out when i get home... thanks

9. JAYNO20

JAYNO20 Thread Starter

OK i just tested it out and im still getting the same problem... is there anything else i can try with this?

10. JohnWill

I'm wondering if contacting Belkin would help. Perhaps they have a workaround that we don't know about.

What's the exact model of that router? Also, what is the make/model of the modem?

11. JAYNO20

JAYNO20 Thread Starter

F5D8233-4-v1(01A)

thats the router model and the modem is a motorola surfboard

12. JAYNO20

JAYNO20 Thread Starter

I found a fix... i returned the Belkin for a Linksys, and so far the NAT shows open and i am able to use the internet without even setting the xbox outside of the firewall... so far so good. Thanks :)

13. JohnWill

That's one way to fix it. :D

14. redixe

redixe

My hopes shot up when I saw the "Solved" but then I found your solution and it almost killed my hope. I have the exact same problem with the same router.

DMZ enabled for static IP on my XBox 360 kills my wireless and wired computers on the network but XBox seems to work great. (I can ping www.google.com no problem but if I try to visit the site I get a partially loaded page if I am lucky.)

Disabled and everything works fine except Xbox is now suffering.

I have the latest firmware on the router. If anyone has any more ideas please post.

TIA!
    ~RediXe

15. Rollie

Rollie

Did anyone solve this because im having the same problem. is it a hardware issue?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/623333

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice