1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Belkin router not renewing IP addresses

Discussion in 'Networking' started by philmj1966, Oct 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. philmj1966

philmj1966 Thread Starter

Hi,

I have been wasting the past three days trying to figure out what is happening with my WiFi 802.11g network.

I use a Belkin router model F5D9630, my main PC is wired through an Ethernet connection and I have a number of additional PC's and other devices hanging off the WiFi network. I have to state that I have had this network going very reliably for over a year now.

The problem is that for no apparent reason, two of my PC's can't get a DHCP-assigned IP address any longer, but the other ones are recognised by the router and can happily access the network and Internet.

The only change in recent days has been the addition of another network, operating in the 2.4 GHz WiFi range but on a different channel (3) to the channel of my main network (8). This other network uses IP addresses in the 192.168.2.xxx range whereas my main network is configured to use 192.168.0.xxx.

I have attempted the following so far:

Uninstall and reinstall wireless adapters on the impacted PC's
    Repair TCP/IP stacks on the PC's
    Disable and re-enable adapters a million times
    Reboot as many times
    Try to set manual IP addresses
    Reset the router to factory defaults and reload settings
    Reset the router to factory defaults and gradually re-key settings
    Leave the router and PC's off power overnight in the vain hope that this would help
    ...and a few other things!

There is no way for me of knowing whether the problem is on the PC's or on the router, but I believe that it is to do with IP address conflicts on the router i.e. specific IP addresses are not being released when they should be.

The problem is: there's nothing on the router that gives me the option to flush a cache or force an IP address release.

Note that there's no issue connecting to the WiFi network, it's purely an IP addressing problem.

Note also that I do not run a firewall on the router, but use McAfee on my network which is correctly parametered to accept any connection in the 192.168.0.xxx range.

Please help as this is driving me nuts :)

Many thanks

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

One common issue that comes up with routers and multiple computers is resetting the router without turning off ALL the other computers. The computers retain the IP address and you get duplicate IP addresses on the network. Remember, if a computer obtains an IP lease of 24 hours, then your turn off the router, it will reassign that IP address to the first machine that attempts to connect.

Turn off all the systems.
    Turn off the router.
    ---
    Turn on the router, wait for it to initialize.
    Boot up the systems.

3. philmj1966

Thanks John,

I have tried that a few times, even taking out the wireless extenders, but it did not do the trick. After many attempts I have finally established root cause: my router doesn't seem to allocate IP addresses if I have set up WEP encryption. This seems to be repeated across all wireless adapters on my network.

Which causes me some concern obviously, first of all I don't understand why the DHCP feature would have stooped functioning overnight only when WEP encryption is set, secondly my network is now open.

I could introduce MAC address filtering if necessary but I don't believe this to be full proof. Is there any reason why the router would have started behaving this way?

I have contacted Belkin technical support but didn't get far, I don't intend to waste more time and money on the phone to them.

Thanks

4. JohnWill

I'd think it's time to upgrade the firmware on that router, reset it to factory defaults and reconfigure. If that doesn't get it working properly, it's time to send it back to Belkin.

5. philmj1966

Problem fixed... at least until the next time... I have all PC's back up and registered on the DHCP list - so Internet access is restored everywhere AND WEP encryption is reinstated.

Only issue left is that I struggle to get all machines back on the MSHOME domain, but this will be easily resolved as it's to do with firewall settings, I'll get down to it some time tomorrow evening.

Would love to share with you how I got over the WEP encryption problem but there's nothing obvious, my only guess is that it was due to wireless extenders (I have three of those on the network). I reset each one of them to factory settings then re-programmed my network parameters and it appeared to have done the job.

Three days of headache now behind me, thanks to those who contributed.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "wireless extenders (I have three of those on the network)"

Had that been posted yesterday I'm sure JohnWill would have suggested some different trouble shooting steps. I know I would have suggested last night to try a connection with the extenders out of the picture.

But thanks for the feedback on the solution. Please mark this 'solved' using the Thread Tools at the upper right.

7. JohnWill

Yep, at least we stumbled into the solution. :D Terry is certainly correct that the presence of the wireless repeaters would have changed how I approached the issue! This is the reason it's so important to post all of the details of the equipment involved. ;)

8. philmj1966

Sorry guys I committed the cardinal sin on day one: jumping to the conclusion. I was so convinced the router was at fault I focused all my energies on it at the expense of other items on the network. Many thanks for your support.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!