1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Belkin Router with DNS issues

Discussion in 'Networking' started by HaydenHaddock, Oct 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HaydenHaddock

HaydenHaddock Thread Starter

Hi all,

I am having problems with my Belkin ADSL router. I can connect without a problem to the router with both my laptop, my mum's laptop and my dad's laptop. All three tell me that they have an Internet connection, as does the router. However, all three machines say that they cannot resolve DNS addresses. I have also tried pinging www.google.co.uk with the following effect (where 64.233.183.99 is Google's IP address):

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001]
    Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Hayden>ping www.google.co.uk
    Ping request could not find host www.google.co.uk. Please check the name and try again.

C:\Users\Hayden>ping 64.233.183.99

Pinging 64.233.183.99 with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 64.233.183.99: bytes=32 time=41ms TTL=244
    Reply from 64.233.183.99: bytes=32 time=42ms TTL=244
    Reply from 64.233.183.99: bytes=32 time=41ms TTL=244
    Reply from 64.233.183.99: bytes=32 time=43ms TTL=244

Ping statistics for 64.233.183.99:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 41ms, Maximum = 43ms, Average = 41ms

I am currently online by entering a DNS directly (which I have copied from the router's setting page) into the Network Properties window, and I can now get online without any problems however, I use my laptop on more than one network, so entering the DNS address every time is a pain. I suspect that there is a problem with the router passing on the IP address of the DNS server. Any suggestions as to how I might get this working again?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think that you are correct about the problem, and you have found the solution.

You could try a resetting the router to factory default settings and reconfigure it. Sometimes that extends the life of a router.

You shouldn't have to enter the DNS server address more than once. Or, if you're just concerned about using your ISP's DNS server on other networks you could use OpenDNS (only step 1 is needed) instead.

3. HaydenHaddock

Thank you very much TerryNet.
    Are you suggesting that my router is dead? While I realize that they only have a certain life-span, I would have thought it would have lasted a little longer, It is only about two years old! ;)

Thanks for the advice about open DNS, I will give it a try.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Point well taken. But, in my defense, a reset to factory defaults may fix any number of faults, thereby "extending the life" of even a brand new router. :)

My opinion--no data to back it up--is that a wireless router that is plugged in 24/7 will last on average from 2 to 4 years.

5. Jason08

Jason08

Hmm, I've had my router for just over 3 years, I guess, then, possibly it may not have too much longer.

6. HaydenHaddock

Thank you very much TerryNet

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome, HaydenHaddock! :) Always glad to help somebody who identifies for himself the cause and solution for a problem!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!