Solved: Belkin router

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

alex9467

In the process of changing to wifi I've been told that I may have to leave my router 'ON' even when my computer is switched 'OFF' Is this true? Alex 9467

cwwozniak

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
Chuck
If that bit of mis-information was given to you by a next-door neighbor, they may have trying to make it easy for themselves to have unlimited Internet access through your wireless router any time they want. :eek:

You may want to make sure your wireless settings are using WPA encryption with a long and not easily guessed password key. That will keep (or at least greatly slow down) anyone from getting into your wireless network.

alex9467

If that bit of mis-information was given to you by a next-door neighbor, they may have trying to make it easy for themselves to have unlimited Internet access through your wireless router any time they want. :eek:

You may want to make sure your wireless settings are using WPA encryption with a long and not easily guessed password key. That will keep (or at least greatly slow down) anyone from getting into your wireless network.
Thank you nessyguin and chuck W. thats going to save me a lot of power
Cheers alex9467

DoubleHelix

Banned
A router isn't a significant power drain for a house. I suppose if you use your Internet connection that rarely, there isn't anything wrong with turning it off, but they're designed to be on all the time. If you have a separate modem for your broadband connection, you'll need to power that off and on too every time you unplug the router. You may also have to either restart the computer or refresh the network information.

In all, you're looking at adding at least a few minutes startup time when you want to connect to the Internet.

My routers on 24/7 and i've had no problems.

only thing i turn off is the wireless (at night) because i dont want the radiation baking my brain when i sleep lol. ;-)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts