1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Belkin router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alex9467, Apr 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alex9467

alex9467 Thread Starter

In the process of changing to wifi I've been told that I may have to leave my router 'ON' even when my computer is switched 'OFF' Is this true? Alex 9467

2. nessyguin

nessyguin

No . It's not true .

3. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    If that bit of mis-information was given to you by a next-door neighbor, they may have trying to make it easy for themselves to have unlimited Internet access through your wireless router any time they want. :eek:

You may want to make sure your wireless settings are using WPA encryption with a long and not easily guessed password key. That will keep (or at least greatly slow down) anyone from getting into your wireless network.

4. alex9467

alex9467 Thread Starter

Thank you nessyguin and chuck W. thats going to save me a lot of power
    Cheers alex9467

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

A router isn't a significant power drain for a house. I suppose if you use your Internet connection that rarely, there isn't anything wrong with turning it off, but they're designed to be on all the time. If you have a separate modem for your broadband connection, you'll need to power that off and on too every time you unplug the router. You may also have to either restart the computer or refresh the network information.

In all, you're looking at adding at least a few minutes startup time when you want to connect to the Internet.

6. NeVeRReSt

NeVeRReSt

My routers on 24/7 and i've had no problems.

only thing i turn off is the wireless (at night) because i dont want the radiation baking my brain when i sleep lol. ;-)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699252

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice