1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Benq dp 303 portable hard disk

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by b1ffyi59, Nov 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. b1ffyi59

b1ffyi59 Thread Starter

Hello,I have a Benq dp 303 portable hard disk with 75 gb capacity.It needs a transformer to be recognised on the usb port of a satellite receiver.I bought that hard disk about 10 years ago in China.I need to know how many volts it needs to work . My computer reads it well but the sattellite receiver needs it to be powered by a transformer.I could not find anything on the net.
    Thank you.
    Jean-Guy Roberge

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    I can't find any specs on that model. Having said that, it either needs AC power, or it doesn't. I've not seen a drive that works with or without AC power. They are either USB powered, or AC powered.

Have you tested any other drive on the SAT receiver? Many devices don't support external (USB) devices, even though most of them have the physical ports. And those that do support them, often have limited support requirements.

3. b1ffyi59

b1ffyi59 Thread Starter

Thanks for the fast answer.I will buy another hard disk self powered

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Personally, I only recommend AC powered drives. USB supplied voltages can vary from device to device, and even from the same device as it ages. Which can affect drive operation and data integrity.

Having said that, they are less hassle as you don't have to worry about the AC cord. It's a matter of personal preference.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1138262

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice