1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Solved: Best for Defragging Drive

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by silverado4, May 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. silverado4

silverado4 Thread Starter

I use system mechanic, is that really good? Seems to re-align programs ok, but not sure if it is really doing a good job. When it finishes, it still show about 4 files that are still fragmented. MS defrag takes so long to defrag drive, but is it more reliable then system mechanic. Please advise to a good program for registry cleaning, and defraging "COMPLETELY".
    Thanks

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Be prepared to have problems or a non-functioning computer.

Using those type of programs is an almost sure way to do it.

---------------------------------------------------------

The Windows built-in defrag program should be used.

The registry should not be "cleaned".

3. silverado4

Dell is the one who suggested to use this, they support system mechanic. I'll stop using this, and use all of Microsoft's stuff from now on. Only the defrag in MS takes so long to do. Why does it do several passes before it's done (defrag) in MS?
    Thanks for your answer to this.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Depending on how much data is in the hard drive and how fragmented it is, it can take a long time (an hour or more) for the Windows 7 built-in Disk Defragmenter to finish. You also should not be using the computer while it's running.

Just because Dell or some other vendor recommend you buy and use a product doesn't mean you have to do it. Dell (and other vendors) make money from recommending and selling products, so of course they're going to do that.

5. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Years ago i found a totally free program by accident called auslogics disk defrag. it works wonderfully and ive never had any problems with it.just make sure you only download the defrag part. you dont want the booster or registry cleaner.

6. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

I use Mydefrag portable which (like many) is a front end to the MS defrag API

7. silverado4

I will check into this program for defraging. I don't use my computer while defragging with MS. It did take about 1 1/2 hours to defrag. I think it took that long because system mechanic defraged it there way so now will just use ms defrag, but I'll look into the other one. listed above. Thanks again.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!