1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: best free Virus scanner

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Erklott, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Erklott

Erklott Thread Starter

whats the best 100% free virus scanner out there?

i don't want to pay a dime on it because i know there are some good ones out there that are free and some better than the retail ones

thanks -erk

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    I use avast avast.com for home (non commercial use) and most of my friends and family use it, and its been quite good
    theres is also AVG - although version 8 free has been giving soem issues with flash ads

3. Techmonkeys

Techmonkeys

AVG used to be the best, but as the above poster says the later versions have been a bit poor. Avast is now the one I would recommend, you do have to re-register it every year, but it remains free.

If you do want to pay for one then NOD32 is the best commercial one at the moment.

4. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Well if you know there are some good ones, use one.

5. Erklott

Erklott Thread Starter

look, im trying to get help here...
    what i meant (since you take EVERYTHING so literal) is that there has to be some good ones out there...

All im asking for is a virus scanner, if thats too hard for you to answer without being a jerk then gtfo the forums...

thanks you two for the fast replies... i'll check out avast!

6. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

There's at least a few hundred posts/opinions on free AV apps, probably closer to a thousand by now on these forums. The subject has been beat to death.

There is also a specific forum where such things should be discussed.

General Security
    Antivirus, Firewalls, and other security concerns

http://forums.techguy.org/78-general-security/

7. hrlow2

hrlow2

hello Erklott. MysticEyes is correct. There are more than enough free anti virus programs out there (I personally use AviraAntiVir) but as far as 100% effective, the best PAY FOR programs can' t even claim that.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758697

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice