Solved: best method of testing Win 8 on my Win 7 pc

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

scottspa

I love my Win 7 Pro x64 but I am getting tempted to try Win 8 Pro x64 again. I have wiped a hard drive so I could install Win 8 if you believe that is the best way of testing. I shall keep Win 7 until I believe there is a better alternative but I need to keep testing. Should I install it on a seperate hard drive or install it on a partition of my C drive. If I install it on my D drive I understand there are aggravating boot up problems and if I don't like it then there can be problems of removing it. What do you recommend and I'll try your way, scottspa. My computer details are:-

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 5
Processor Count: 8
RAM: 12286 Mb
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 953866 MB, Free - 924909 MB; D: Total - 953866 MB, Free - 953620 MB; E: Total - 152627 MB, Free - 133614 MB; F: Total - 953765 MB, Free - 855721 MB;
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., X58A-UD7
Antivirus: AVG Internet Security 2013, Updated and Enabled

Hi scottspa personly I would install it on the C drive (dual boot ) you could also run it with virtual machine or software like that but you would need plenty of memory to make it run ok.

scottspa

Thanks Dude044, wouldn't 12 GB of RAM be sufficient however I ran it? I'll try your dual boot, scottspa

Hi scottspa yep 12 GB would be sufficient , my mistake I misread your memory specs

TerryNet

First Name
Terry
I'm dual booting using just one hard drive. No problems after turning Fast Boot off.

Unsolicited advice: regardless of the number of hard drives avoid the use of Microsoft's highly confusing use of letter "drives" for disk partitions. Instead refer to the partition's position on the drive or, better, give them names. See my attachment. If I say "Data" you know the partition to which I refer. If I say "D" or "E" you don't know unless I tell you to which OS I am booted and how it decided to assign the drive letters.

Attachments

scottspa

Even though I tweaked and added extra stuff to the Win 8 I still prefer Win 7. I installed it on drive D and afterwards just formatted Drive D. I had to msconfig/Boot twice to get my booting up correctly but everything is good again. Hooray for Win 7

Glad to help scottspa i to tweaked and added extra stuff to win 8 and still was not happy . As an OS its not a lemon say like ME I just dont like it .
For myself long live windows 7 and linux

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online