1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Best Resampling Tool?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by I Fix 4 U, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U Thread Starter

I'm tired of resizing images with horrible quality and pixelation. The best resampling tool i have found is included in irfanview but it blurs the image and isnt the greatest.

I am looking for a really nice image resampler,
    one that can blow an image way up and keep good quality.

I know this may be far'fetched but is there any tool that can do stuff like in CSI or like at kinkos by using software? I have small pictures that i want to make a really nice wallpaper (800x600-1024x768).

2. Sponsor

3. sligo

sligo Banned

To really get the type of quality you are looking for you would have to go with a Photoshop CS. The built in interpolator is pretty good but you could go out and buy Geniune Fractals and be amazed at the results--Unfortunately, these things cost money.

4. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U Thread Starter

Genuine Fractals is a resample plugin for Photoshop?

5. buck52

buck52 Banned

short answer NO

Irfanview, CS, Genuine Fractals, Fred Miranda stairstep method as well as others do a decent job but only to a certain extent...

your success will depend on just how small the original is...the more info in the original the better any of them work.

The stuff you see on CSI is in the dream world of television

here's a link you might like to look at...
    http://www.americaswonderlands.com/digital_photo_interpolation.htm

buck

6. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U Thread Starter

cool link. darn tv stuff thats what i thought. Yah i'm dealing with somewhere around 200x350 pictures and i wanted them to look decent as wallpaper. I'll take a look at that website and than i'll post a reply later today (monday)

7. buck52

buck52 Banned

Have fun :)

all those programs work quite well for people that have a good to great quality image to start with and are looking to make a 13x19 print or a poster size print. OR... have a 4x6 and want a 5x7 . Starting with an image as small as you have there just is not enough info to start with for any of those programs to a good job.

buck

8. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U Thread Starter

i have found genuine fractals is really good trying it out. My irfanview has lanczos free and it was 3rd best in almost all the tests i have been viewing so i may just stick with IV.

9. buck52

buck52 Banned

Here's another pretty good frebie to try after you have done the upsample. It's an artifact and noise tool

http://www.imagenomic.com

buck

10. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U Thread Starter

right i havent heard of upsample (assume nothing i'm a newbie) but i'll try out that link too. omg lol photoshop trial almost over and i only have 9 images left to try for the plugin software.

UPDATE: i visited the link and thats just a noise reducer. it helps when i use irfanview and it together (lanczos+noise reducer) yet the resample still isnt good. i just wish there is a good interpolater or really nice resampling tool that i dont have to buy because genuine fractals is nice but i cant just spend 160 dollars for that.

11. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U Thread Starter

I made irfanview do a much better job by switching from lanczos to B-spline and that sort. Though i am still open to other options. aslo try noise reduction filters with lanczos because lanczos makes much better replica of the original without blurring though it adds some noise.

12. MassDaemon

MassDaemon

I wonder how much relevant it is, but if your jpegs are suffering from poor quality try Jpeg Enhancer. A very easy to use and really powerful program.

13. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U Thread Starter

k, i'll try it.

14. slipe

slipe

It isn’t a resample tool, but try the free trial of Neat Image. I don’t think the basic trial version expires. Use the sharpest interpolation filter you can find – Lanczos is the best you can get free. Then mess with Neat Image to smooth out the pixels with minimum blurring of the image.

I’ve primarily used stair interpolation for the past couple of years for the upsample. But you need an advanced photo editor with actions and lots of RAM to make it convenient. Then if I have blown up too small a section of an image it gets worked with Neat Image. Neat Image is mostly for noise reduction, but once you pixelate it looks like noise to the program. It also does wonders for portraits.

15. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U Thread Starter

yah lanczos with noise reduction programs is really nice. i have a few of em.

16. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U Thread Starter

i'll say i have found my favorite. i was using trial version of genuin fractals and trial of photoshop and it was the best.
    for the free world (which i will be using) i choose irfanview using the b-spline filter for best quality yet slightly blurred, or lanczos when sharpness is necessary.

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/262487

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice