1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Between softward & hardware: my BIOS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by goedel, Jan 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. goedel

goedel Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G2030 @ 3.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3967 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1791 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 448568 MB, Free - 398078 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0XFWHV
    Antivirus: AVG AntiVirus Free Edition 2014, Updated and Enabled

Not shown above is my BIOS: Dell Inspiron 660s Vostro270s A11.

Recently, I updated my BIOS with a downloaded file to what I named just above. In so doing, I examined my BIOS afterwards to see if it was set to open first with my CD/DVD drive, in the event that I had a recovery disc within. It did!

What I noticed was my ignorance of most of the choices on the BIOS pages. Most, I shall surely never need. Still, there may be others I ought to know about. I searched Vostro BIOS on the internet but did not find a manual, except for one that explains how to disassemble my system box - not a project for me at this time. Where can I find an explanation of my BIOS settings' setup?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

With modern systems, you really do not have to make any changes [other than boot order if you want]
    If this were a high performance asus or gigabyte board, you would have options for overclocking, ram voltage, cpu voltage, FSB, etc. Since this is a dell, you have limited options in the bios. In short, the defaults will work fine almost all of the time.

3. goedel

goedel Thread Starter

Thanks, crjdriver! I knew that to be true. I don't want to become an expert at BIOS setting. I just want to know what the settings on the opening page and the boot page mean. I am astonished that neither Dell nor Vostro have published an overview of the BIOS. There are terms, such as "legacy", "boot security", etc., that I think they should let me know more about. If no one can refer me to an overview, I'll call Dell.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Legacy often refers to a number of things;
    1 Sata mode. Legacy would mean ide mode and not ahci or raid.
    2 USB support. Often you can enable or disable legacy mode for usb ie usb1 or 1.1 support

Boot security often refers to setting a bios password.

Each bios [and even sometimes each revision or update] can have different menus/options. As I said with a big box system ie dell, hp, whatever, you can almost always just load defaults and be done. The more esoteric settings that are available in high performance mb do not apply to a dell.

5. goedel

goedel Thread Starter

If legacy means IDE mode, then why is it not called IDE mode? If boot security means BIOS password, why is in not called password? Is there another form of security? A pad-lock? A doberman-pincher?

I am not faulting you, but what seems like unnecessarily cryptic language.

I shall F12 my BIOS, copy the terms I want clarified and call Dell. Thanks for some help!

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Your question is analogous to asking why is it called a car instead of an automobile???

As I said every bios is different in how it presents menus/options. Asus does not use the same exact terminology as gigabyte; each mfg uses its own method of presenting options.

7. goedel

goedel Thread Starter

I don't think your analogy works. Everyone knows what a car or automobile is. They generally mean the same thing. When they mean something different, as for example a railroad car, the context is usually clear about the meaning.

Legacy refers to a will, a bequeathal, something transmitted from the past as from an ancestor. To call an IDE, a standard for data, a transmission from the past is gilding the lilly! Is is a Rosetta Stone? Should it be in a case at the British Museum?

Yes, exactly, each uses its own method of presenting, to appear as if it is offering something unique. It is unnecessarily phony language where ordinary language is clear and availble. Instead of aiding understanding, they make it more difficult and for no purpose, as I wrote. I am marking this "Solved". You may comment further as you like.

8. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
  9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1117889

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice