1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Solved) Big file clogging IE

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Fitz, Sep 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fitz

Fitz Thread Starter

At work recently a colleague attached a large Powerpoint file to an e-mail sent to my work e-mail address which I have linked to my home IE5 home e-mail address. This has turned out to be a problem because every time I log onto my IE5 account, the same 5 messages are downloaded including this message with the huge attachment which clogs up my inbox with a never-ending download...

I've changed the settings at work so that my work files now are delivered to another service so that I can see any messages that have been sent after this huge-attachment message, and that seems to be OK. However, every time I attempt to open my IE5 service, the same 5 messages are waiting on the server including the message with the huge attachment.

My question is this: Is there any way that I can prevent my IE5 service from attempting to receive and download the problematic message and/or can I somehow delete this message?

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Fitz
    Two ways I can see how to accomplish this.

1) Contact you ISP and have them remove it from your E-Mail stored on server.

2) Download and set up the freeware program Mailwasher After you set it up you can download an image of what is in your E-Mail basket and delete it from there which will delete it from the Server.

Let us know if that helps you.

Dave

3. Fitz

Fitz Thread Starter

Hi Dave,
    I downloaded "Mailwasher" and it worked a treat. That's a fine programme and I'm going to recommend it to my friends.
    Thanks for that. Now I can start using my default e-mail programme again.

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

Fitz
    Glad all is well again! Mailwasher is also nice to intercept spam and bounce\blacklist off server before it ever reaches you E-Mail Program. Blacklisting it will put an entry in a computer file and anything listed under that from will be bounced. Bounceing sends a "Returned Undeliverable" message to sendor. The Delete just remove it off server for that one time.

Take care and will consider matter solved.

Dave

5. JayT

JayT

Hi Davey. I have seen Mailwasher cited before but have never gotten around to checking it out until today. I appears to be a great program. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167793

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice