1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: BIG increase in blue screens of death...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by chredge, Oct 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chredge

chredge Thread Starter

Hi,

I've been encountering a LOT of blue screens of death lately and I'm wondering if you guys can help me diagnose what the problem may be. I'm also encountering problems when I try to defrag my hard drive, it never seems to complete in normal and safe mode. I'm wondering if the two could be conected.

What info do I need to supply you guys with and what tools would help me to get this info?

Cheers,

C h r e d g e.

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

Hi, follow the two guides below. One to test the health of your hard drive and the other to attach you minidumps to your next post so they can be analysed.

3. chredge

chredge Thread Starter

Hi Mark1956,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm currently trying to get to BIOS although pressing F9 on startup does give me the option of starting up up from CDROM, but when I do select the correct drive and press enter it still boots into Windows. Any ideas why?

Regards,

C h r e d g e

4. Mark1956

Mark1956

The correct key to use for entering Bios setup varies from one computer to another. As it is booting up you should see and F key named for Setup or Bios.

Using the F9 key and selecting the CD drive to boot from should work but please confirm that you used image burning software to make the CD as per the instructions, if you have simply burned the download direct to disc it will not work, it has to be burned as an image.

5. chredge

chredge Thread Starter

Hi Again,

You were right, I hadn't burnt the disk correctly! (doh!). I have since burnt it the right way.

I have now (I think) performed the 'fitness' test on my Hitachi HD and added the minidump to this message.

Is this OK?

Cheers,

C h r e d g e

Attached Files:

6. Mark1956

Mark1956

Ok, the minidumps indicate that your Nvidia Graphics driver is the cause.

Download the latest driver for your graphics card and save it to your desktop. Go into Device Manager and locate the Graphics card, right click on it and select Uninstall. Shut the screens and back on the desktop double click on the new driver which should then install.

Continue to use the PC and see if the problem returns. If it does then we can run a test on the graphics card. One thing you could do is just check that the card and heatsink are clean by blowing compressed air through it, this should eliminate any overheating problem. You can get a can of compressed air from any computer store.

7. abc12345

abc12345 Banned

This is off topic but Mark1956 how do you read mini dump files?

8. Mark1956

Mark1956

The easiest way is to use Blue Screen View but it can sometimes be inaccurate. That was the case here as it named a windows driver. I then used Windows Debugger, which gives a lot more information, and that told me that the faulting driver was the graphics driver. Unfortunately it's not always that easy, many crash dumps can give non-conclusive results unless you know how to go a lot deeper into the analasys.
    Debugwiz
    BlueScreenView

Looking up the error codes can also help. BSOD index

9. abc12345

abc12345 Banned

Thanks buddy appreciate that.

10. Mark1956

Mark1956

Your welcome.

11. chredge

chredge Thread Starter

Mark,

Thanks for your continued help.

I downloaded the latest driver for my Nvidia GeForce 9400 GT (from the Nvidia website), uninstalled the old driver from my PC and attempted to install the latest driver. The latest driver failed to load so I tried it again (and it failed again). I then reset the PC and after booting up Windows detected the graphics card and installed drivers!(?)

I'm not sure what drivers Windows installed but I would like to install the latest version of the drivers. Do you think I'm being picky wanting to install the latest drivers? I read about other people having issues installing their Nvidia drivers but I didn't see any solutions. Could it be that I haven't uninstalled the old drivers off my PC correctly before installing the latest version?

Sorry for all the questions but it seems like things are moving in the right direction.

Cheers,

C h r e d g e

12. Mark1956

Mark1956

Ok, here is another method, make sure that the driver you are downloading is for the correct bit rate to match your version of Windows, 64 or 32bit.

•Download the latest graphics driver from the Nvidia site for your card and version of windows and save it to the desktop.
    •Go into Device Manager and locate the graphics card under Display Adapters, right click on it and select Uninstall.
    •Run through this routine and locate any/all graphics drivers and delete them. Do not reboot, just close all the boxes to get back to the desktop.
    •Double click on the driver that you saved to your desktop to install it.
    •Now reboot and check the PC's performance.

13. chredge

chredge Thread Starter

Hi Mark,

I followed your instructions and dicovered another hidden (greyed-out) driver which I uninstalled (when doing this it displayed the official Nvidia uninstall window which i have never saw before - seemed like a good sign). After this had finished I closed the screens, went to my downloads folder and attempted to install the latest (correct) driver (called 285.58-desktop-winxp-32bit-english-whql).

Again it failed (I have attached a screenshot). Something I did notice (which may or maynot be connected) was that after agreeing to the T+Cs on the initial driver install screen, it displays a 'Page not Found' message' even though my internet connection is fine.

Cheers again,

C h r e d g e

Attached Files:

14. Mark1956

Mark1956

Well, that is a bit of an improvement and the old driver you found is probably what Windows kept installing.

Delete the driver you have in the Downloads folder and then download the driver again and save it to the desktop. Run the hidden drivers routine again and delte all graphics driver including the one that is installed, then install the new driver before rebooting.

If this still fails take the graphics card out of the PC and clean the contacts with a soft pencil eraser and blow out the slot on the motherboard with a can of compressed air, refit the card and try the drivers routine again.

If it still fails to install I would then suspect the card has a fault so run this test to check it out.

15. chredge

chredge Thread Starter

Hi Mark,

Panic over.(y)

Once I had deleted the hidden drivers I reset the PC. This time, Windows did not automatically install drivers for the card but offered to locate the drivers for the graphics hardware it had discovered! I declined the offer, cancelled all the windows messages it had displayed and tried installing the driver I had downloaded previously. It worked! :)

Things are now fine.

Mark, many thanks for all your help over this. My problem is now resolved and you have taught me a few things along the way. You sir, are a saint.

Regards,

C h r e d g e

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024645

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice