1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Big "Oops!" involving Registry Permissions.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ATACDN, Nov 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ATACDN

ATACDN Thread Starter

Hello everyone. Last night I made a big mistake in Registry editing during a lapse in thought and awareness (Oh who am I kidding, those are never present ;)). I was in the Permissions screen for HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and found myself unchecking the Allow boxes for Full Control and Read and then applying the changes. (The "Group or username" list was now blank and all Permission check boxes were greyed out.) KABOOM! Now I can't execute anything in Windows. I've tried to boot in safe mode to use System Restore and while Windows seems to boot, System Restore and anything else won't. I suppose what I need is a way to restore permissions without seemingly being able to do anything in Windows.
    Obviously I'm posting from another computer and would I appreciate any help in restoring the other one.

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    You might have to do a complete reinstall as i dont think a repair is going to work. Anytime something gets fooled with in the registry all kinds of things can get damaged.

3. bbearren

bbearren

I would try a repair/reinstall before a complete reinstall. The installation routine should find your installation of Windows, and the repair/reinstall should restore the functionality of the registry.

4. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    Did you happen to have a Recovery Console installed and if so can you get to it?

5. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
  6. ATACDN

ATACDN Thread Starter

Thanks for replying everybody.
    That may be something I can do in the future. I don't have the install disk with me now or too soon in the future, so I don't think it's an option right now.
    I do have it (Microsoft Windows Recovery Console) installed and I think I can probably access it.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Replace your current registry hives with the ones from the most recent restore point.

How to restore an earlier copy of the registry from within the Recovery Console
    Directions for Recovering Registry Hives From an XP Restore Point

You can restore the permissions also using subinacl.exe, but with your machine the way it is, I doubt you could install it.

It would be the easiest to replace the registry files using a Linux-based OS, like:

Parted Magic disk partitoning tool (Bootable CD image)
    If you prefer a bootable USB key, download and run Linux Live USB Creator. Choose the Parted Magic distro, and it will download it and automatically create a bootable USB key.

This CD (or key) contains many useful tools. You can partition, recover files, recover lost partitions, make disk images (by several different methods), transfer files between media, scan for viruses (It can serve as an Alternative Trusted Platform for search and elimination of rootkits and bootkits), examine and benchmark hardware, access the internet, and much more.

8. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
  9. ATACDN

ATACDN Thread Starter

Thanks you both for the new replies.
    I'm on a network and SM w/ Command Prompt requires admin login. Luckily, Recovery Console seems works with SM w/ Networking.

Just making sure before I try anything, since I have Recovery Console installed already, I don't need the install disk, right?
    I'll consider using a Linux boot disk or the Microsoft help article's advice too.
    I'm not sure I'll undertake anything tonight, but I do appreciate being able to plan out a course of action.

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

Sorry. I didn't realize that you needed a membership for that first link, so here it is in PDF format.

It really is a lot easier, though, to use something other than the Recovery Console to do all this. It's just better to have a GUI and see what you are doing. :D

And the best directions, I believe: How to Restore the Registry Hives From a System Restore Snapshot in Windows XP (These directions work perfectly if you substitute "Parted Magic CD" everywhere it says "ERD Commander CD". It's the same process.) That one is attached, too, as "How To Restore Registry Hives".

Attached Files:

11. ATACDN

ATACDN Thread Starter

I think I'll probably try the Winhelponline article tomorrow. The Recovery Console process seemed easy enough so I went ahead and tried a bit of it, but when I got to the Restore Point directory, there were Points from impossible points in time (like tomorrow) as well as confusing points in time (as I could've sworn I cleared Points before the last one with Disk Cleanup just two days ago), both of which thoroughly repelled me from continuing under the fear that I could make things worse by restoring to a seemingly non-existent or nonsensical Point. Thanks again for sticking with me.

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

That's one reason I think the booted Parted Magic CD is better. You can see what's going on and what is there.

Basically, all you are doing is renaming the hives that are there by adding .bak or something to the end of them, and then finding the same files (that have long, ridiculous names) and renaming them to "system", "software", etc. (no file endings) and putting them in the config folder. If you understand that, then there isn't much need for directions.

There are also no permissions issues with PM so you have free access to all files. The RC sometimes comes back with "Access Denied" errors at the worst possible times. In other words, the Recovery Console, in my opinion, is a useless piece of junk.

The restore points are numbered RP1, RP2, etc. with the highest number being the most recent.

That PM CD can be used later to recover files, fix damaged Windows partitions, make disk images to use later to restore your machine, test hardware, boot when the MBR is damaged, and on and on. I'm really quite a supporter of this free piece of software.:D

13. ATACDN

ATACDN Thread Starter

This is rather frustrating. I've followed instructions for burning the ISO and everything seemed well and good... except that the Parted Magic disk doesn't seem to boot on my computer. The computer starts up and just stays on the initial start up screen (which is the hp invent logo for me) and doesn't seem to progress.
    Based on my system specs (in my profile), do I need something other than the 24_i686 download? Should I try the disk on this computer to see if the disk works at all?

14. Elvandil

Elvandil

How did you burn it exactly? When you explore the disk, do you see files and folders or the iso file?

It is a CD image, an exact mirror image of a CD. So it should not just be burned to a CD. You need to burn it as an image.

It depends what software you are using, but this will do the job and needs no installation: Standalone ISO Burner (Be sure to check the "Finalize" box.)

I'll even attach the burning program for you.

Yes, you can safely try the disk on any machine. It runs from RAM (or RAM and the CD), so it has no affect on the machine it boots on.

Attached Files:

15. ATACDN

ATACDN Thread Starter

I used a program called FreeISOBurner and judging by the fact that I'm posting from Parted Magic Linux right now, I'm guessing the burning worked. I'm stumped though as to why it doesn't seem to load on the other computer. The computer's BIOS settings say that automatic booting from D: is enabled. Is there a way I should try manually booting from D:?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028726

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice