1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Big Problem, Need help fast

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by RaushanPassa, Jul 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RaushanPassa

RaushanPassa Thread Starter

When I turned on my PC this morning, WindowsXP wasn't starting up it was stuck on the splash screen and the bars at the bottom were still moving, yet it wasnt starting up. It was on the screen for at least 3 hours, then i restarted it. It was still doing it after several tries. Then I installed WindowsXP on the same harddrive but different partition or different folder. So I have 2 copies of WindowsXP on ONE harddrive. Then when I tried to start up the original WindowsXP, it worked fine! Now I want to uninstall the second WindowsXP I installed. So, I restarted my PC and loaded up the second WindowsXP, and tried to uninstall it. But I couldn't find it in the Add/Remove programs list! Then I went into the C:/WINDOWS2/system32 and tried to run osuninst.exe (or something similar to that i can't remember). When I ran it, it gave me an error saying that Something in the registry was missing, so it was unable to run the unistaller!

Now I need to know 2 things:

1) WHY was my WindowsXP not starting up in the FIRST place?

2) How do Uninstall the second copy of WindowsXP?

I don't have ANYTHING on my PC that is illegal or cracked/pirated. I have a decent Anti-Virus that is always up-to-date and my firewall is ALWAYS on, since I do not have the password to the administrator on it.

Any help leading to getting rid of the second copy of WindowsXP on my PC would make me the happiest person in the world.

Thanks!

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. Did you install the second copy of Windows onto a different partition? Or in the same directory? You should have taken the second repair option.

3. RaushanPassa

I installed it on the same harddrive, so it asked me(during the installation of the SECOND winXP) that I must install to a different path, so I installed it in WINDOWS2. I am not clear of what it means to install on the same partition or different, but i am pretty sure it is on a DIFFERENT one.

4. ~Candy~

Are you sure both of them are starting up, and the old one is working?

You should be able to delete Windows 2 via my computer, then the boot.ini file will have to be edited to remove the second copy of Windows.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022/

5. RaushanPassa

Yes, I got it to load my original WindowsXP fine, BUT I STILL have to select from the 2 at the black screen at boot. I made it so that the #1 choice is my original, but it still waits the 30 seconds. How can I uninstall the second so that it wont show it at all? This is really frusterating for my parents when they try to use the computer because it's such a hastle now.
    thnx

6. kenneth2k1

kenneth2k1

Well, I can tell you a real cheap, fast way to do it. It won't delete the other install, but it will keep it from prompting you for the other boot. :D

Right click on My Computer and go to Properties. Click the Advanced tab and click the Settings button in the Startup and Recovery section. Select the OS you want to start by default from the drop down list, and set the "Time to display list of Operating Systems" to 0 seconds.

:)

7. ~Candy~

Did you look at my link above regarding editing the boot.ini file?

8. kenneth2k1

kenneth2k1

I basically said the same thing after you. But that'll do her. :D

9. ~Candy~

All yours would do is hide the issue ;)

10. kenneth2k1

kenneth2k1

Youre right. :)

11. RaushanPassa

Thnx kenneth! But like Acacandy said, it only hides it! It takes up harddrive space which is really precious since my father uses for video editing. I tried again yesterday, but no luck! I still get the same registry problem, saying something is missing when i try to execute the osunisnt.exe!

Anyhelp is good!

12. ~Candy~

You should be able to remove the WHOLE SECOND windows directory.

13. Old Rich

Old Rich

As Candy said . . delete the WINSOWS2 directory, then do this to get rid of the boot.ini entry.

Click on Start . . Run . . type msconfig . . click on the Boot Ini tab and click on Check all boot paths . . if it comes back with one in invalid, click Fix invalid boot paths

14. RaushanPassa

Nice! Thnx for all the help, I will definetely come here for more computer advice/help! You guys are the best!

15. ~Candy~

If your problem is solved, you can use the THREAD TOOLS drop down menu and mark it as such ;)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!