1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: BIOS chip fried, NEED HELP!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by XPUser1991, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. XPUser1991

XPUser1991 Thread Starter

my bios chip went bad yesterday, i had a few old bios chips laying around but none of them boots my computer:mad: i thought they would work why not? i need a solution as fast as possible because this is my everyday pc, i don't know what to do.

SPECS: Packard-Bell NEC Ready 9945, 2 HDDs an 8GB split in half win windows 98SE and windows 2000, and an 80GB with windows XP Professional, ATI radeon 7500 agp, 256 ddr ram pc-133, 500MHz PIII

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

That's a ridiculously old computer. Whatever spare parts you manage to find are going to be just as old and unreliable. I've never seen a BIOS "chip", but I'm not at all surprised they're not interchangeable especially on an OEM system. I doubt the chip was "fried" unless you shorted it out in some way. It's more likely either the power supply or board has simply failed from age and use. Computers don't last forever.

As long as the system hasn't suffered some type of physical trauma, your files should be fine.

3. inuyasha320

inuyasha320

with a system that old, using a bios chip from another computer will not work.

with many newer computers, you can swap the bios chip and the motherboard will just report a bad flash and offer the recovery options

on some older systems you need to start a bios update on the old motherboard then pull the power after the erasing part finishes and then pop it in and that will allow the computer to get to a recovery stage.

your computer most likely lacks any of these features and your only option is to buy a replacement chip from ebay or anywhere else you can find a chip for your exact motherboard.

If you know any businesses that go through a lot of computer hardware, you can probably talk to them to see if you can salvage bios chips or dumpster dive for motherboards :)

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

5. XPUser1991

XPUser1991 Thread Starter

will be using one of those sites, thanks.:) also, i'm getting a used computer from my aunt, so if i still don't get my computer working, i'll have a backup.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

FWIW I have used badflash in the past and I have been very pleased with their service.

7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Why do you think the Bios chip is to blame ?

What are the symptoms of your problem ?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!