1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: BIOS gone haywire?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by infojunky50, Aug 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. infojunky50

infojunky50 Thread Starter

I started to install Windows 2000 awhile back in a Dell P3 desktop. (It worked fine at this point. )The installation got to setup and wouldn't finish no matter what I did. I got disgusted and left it for about 3 weeks. I turned it on today and it finished installing fine. When it restarted it beeped twice and a line came on the screen saying" Secondary hard disk not found" WHen I went into BIOS It says this:
    Primary drive 0 --- hard drive
    Primary Drive 1----unknown device
    Secondary Drive 0---OFF
    Secondary Drive 1---unknown device
    In Boot Sequence it says:
    1. CD-ROM device (not installed)
    I looked around a bit and hit ESC and it loaded Win ok. I adjusted the display settings and when I restarted it won't go past the DELL logo screen. If I push F2 to go to Setup it says entering setup but nothing happens. I tried restarting several times but cannot get into BIOS at all now. Anyone know where to go next---other than the dump?

2. Dan O

Dan O

You may need to install a BIOS upgrade. I recommend you go to the Dell support web site and look for the latest once available.

3. infojunky50

IT gets weirder. After about an hour's rest, it came on, gave me the message "Primary and Secondary disk not found; strike F1 to continue or F2 to enter Setup" So I hit F1 and Windows loaded and it's online now. I'm looking for Bios updates

4. sockey99

sockey99

A successful POST is one beep. That means all the hardware answered "Roll Call".
    Two beeps identifies a hardware problem. What problem depends on who manufactured your Bios.
    Phenox and AMI have 99% of Bios'. The Dell startup page should list the Bios info.
    Do a Google search for (Mfg's name)+ beep codes and you should find the answer.

Maybe reflash the Bios and replace the battery.

5. infojunky50

BIOS is Phoenix 2 beeps appears to be CMOS read/write failure What do I do now?

6. sockey99

sockey99

Replace CMOS battery on motherboard first. Then reflash the Bios if necessary.

7. infojunky50

I removed and replaced the CMOS battery and it reset the BIOS I got my OS installed and it's working fine. Thanks a lot.

8. sockey99

sockey99

Great info, mark it solved

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489725

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice