1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Bios Memory Test Not Displayed - Cannot Kill Memory Test

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kaneelias, Mar 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kaneelias

kaneelias Thread Starter

Hi,

I am running Windows Xp SP3, 3 gig of Ram and am having an issue with my Gigabyte Motherboard, model number 81945P-G-RH and my BIOS version is F4.

I have recently noticed an issue on my bios post screen, when my PC is started the PC does the memory test, where it should say

Memory Test: XXXXXXX (x = amount of RAM)

all i see on my screen is

Memory T

I can not see the test being undertaken, after about 2 and a half minutes the memory test will complete at which point i can see the full words Memory Test and how much memory was tested as well as my master and slave drives listed.

I CAN NOT skip the memory test by pressing space bar or esc, i can only enter the bios via the delete button and i only enter the bios once the memory test has completed.

I can still run windows normally but i do not like that i am having to do a memory test everytime i start my PC. I would like to point out while in XP, the same amount of RAM shown when the test completes is consistant with what is shown in the "My Computer" properties.

I have tried all versions of my bios but still it is doing the memory test. I would appreciate any help in getting this fixed. I have not been able to find away to disable the memory test in the BIOS.

I hope you get back to me at your earliest convenience, thanks.

2. lawson_jl

lawson_jl

Have you tried removing a stick or ram to see if the memory test continues to run slow?
    Also have you run memtest 86 to see if the memory is indead good?

You could also try reseting your BIOS incase something has gotten corrupted. Also check to be sure the RAM is seated properly.

3. kaneelias

kaneelias Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks for the response, it's not that the RAM is running slow, it's that i can never see the memory test,

A couple of the options are what i am going to try, i will try removing the RAM one piece at a time and the reset of the mother board is what i saw some one else mention,

What exactly is mem86

4. rainforest123

rainforest123

www.memtest.org

Is your concern that in the upper left,the amount of ram is being counted, repeatedly, counts the ram 2 or 3 times?

If so, enter the BIOS
    go to "boot" or "boot something"
    go to boot options, or similar.
    Look for quick boot, which is probably disabled.
    Highlihgt / select that using your arrow or tab keys, or whatever the instructions at the bottom of the page tell you.
    Press "enter".
    Now, you will see 2 options, enable & disable.
    change to "disable"
    press "enter"
    use your arrow keys to move to save
    select "save and exit" or similar.

If you have the motherboard manual, check there for instructions. If you do not have a motherboard manual, but have the CD, explore the CD and look for the manual. It will probably be a .pdf file.

Your board: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=1960
    Next time, please provide a link to your hardware. We can help you more quickly if you provide that information.

manual:
    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Manual_Model.aspx?ProductID=1960#anchor_os

http://europe.giga-byte.com/FileList/Manual/motherboard_manual_ga-8i945p-g-rh_e.pdf

No memory execute protect, page 35.
    Try disabling it.

RF123

5. kaneelias

kaneelias Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, sorry about the lack of information, my concern is that everytime i start my PC the memory test is run,

however i can not actually see the memory counter on the screen, the image is cut off so all i can see is

Memory T

instead of Memory Test: and the amount of Ram being counted, however after it has counted the 3 gig, the image is restored and i can see

Memory Test: and the total that was counted

I can not cancel the memory test by pressing space bar or escape and i can not enter the BIOS until it has finished counting the memory.

I have already disabled the "no memory execute protect" but i still get the same issue where the RAM is counted but i cannot see it, i have also tried load optimal settings but that does the same thing.

Thanks for your help so far.

6. rainforest123

rainforest123

1. If the mem count is displayed on the right margin of the screen, you may need to adjust your monitor to move the image to the left.

If I am incorrect about the location, if you have a digital camera, please take a picture and upload the .jpg, using "go advanced" > manage attachments.

2. Try loading fail safe settings.

3. If that doesn't solve your issue, reset the bios.
    pg 26 of your manual.

RF123

7. kaneelias

kaneelias Thread Starter

thanks for your reply, i was planning on resetting the BIOS, but i will take a picture and upload it so you can see it

8. rainforest123

rainforest123

You are welcome.

Thank you.
    :)

RF123

9. kaneelias

kaneelias Thread Starter

Ok guys, i have some updates, last night when i got home, i reset the bios by removing the battery for 10 minutes, no such luck. I also removed all RAM and reinserted to make sure they were installed correctly.

Next step will be to run memtest and then remove each piece of RAM separately to see if that helps.

I have noticed that as soon as i start my PC, the post screen is displayed for half a second then the screen goes black for a second and then the post screen reappears. I have attached some images below, the first image shows the post screen, as you can see it says "Memory" but i cannot see "Memory Testing" and how much RAM is being tested, this test takes about 2 minutes.

The second pic, shows once the two minutes is up (i assume the test has been completed) you can see "Memory Testing" and the amount of RAM tested, to reiterate, this number appears it is not counted up too.

And the final image shows once all my drives have been detected,

Let me know if you have any questions and thanks for all help so far.
    2.jpg 1.jpg 3.jpg

10. rainforest123

rainforest123

k:
    Did you also use the clear CMOS jumper?

EXCELLENT! On the images & the plan.

Be sure to run MemTest86, downloaded from www.memtest.org for > 8 hrs, unless errors appear firstly. Read the readme.txt file.

NORMAL result is no errors.

There was a time when bad capacitors called many weird problems. Your motherboard is not of that vintage, but check for bad caps. [ leaking, bulgy, etc ]
    www.badcaps.net

Do you have a CPU temp gauge installed?

Do you have a CPU fan rpm meter installed?

Does your issue occur only on cold boot; PC been off for > 1 hr? Does it occur on re-start?

Can you swap out the power supply?
    Which PSU; brand, model, model #, wattage?

Which video card brand, model, model #?

Have you flashed the BIOS? I am NOT suggesting that you do so, k!

RF123

11. kaneelias

kaneelias Thread Starter

Whoah, are few questions there, i will see what i can answer, i did not clear the CMOS jumper as i did not have the plastic jumper to do it so i only removed the battery

The only CPU temp gauge is in the BIOS, same with the fan speed,

Swapping the power supply is not really an option, but as a last resort i could,

This issue, the memory test and not being displayed happens on every restart, not matter if the PC has been off for 1 second or 1 hour

I am using an Nvidia card which is only a year old, i do not have the model number at the moment as i am at wok,

I have flashed the BIOS, i am running version 4 and have flashed all previous versions with no success,

thanks for your help

12. rainforest123

rainforest123

k:
    Good job.

1. in place of a jumper, you can carefully use a small screwdriver to short / connect the 2 pins required to clear CMOS. According to page 26 of your motherboard manual, step 16, by default giga byte does not include a jumper, to prevent incorrect use.

Did the problem exist before you flashed the BIOS?

I understand that you are at work. Do not jeopardize your employment. Wait until you are home to provide answers.
    ;)

RF123

13. kaneelias

kaneelias Thread Starter

hi,

i do have one of those jumpers, they are the same as the ones you use on a hard drive or dvd drive to choose if it is a master or slave? if so i have one.

To be honest i cannot remember if this existed before i flashed the bios, but i will try on the weekend the jumper trick

14. rainforest123

rainforest123

k:
    Remember, it is a combination of the jumper and removing the battery. Check the motherboard manual for instructions.

(y)

RF123

15. kaneelias

kaneelias Thread Starter

As the title says, i have solved this.

Hi Guys,

Well just wanted to let everyone know that over the weekend i managed to solve this issue. Turns out my CIT200 Skype phone was the problem. The receiver for the phone is USB and when that is plugged in on boot, it slows it right down. However once i removed it from the USB port, my memory test was completed in 2 seconds and my PC booted like it use too.

Thanks to everyone who helped with ideas here.

Regards,
    Kane

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/810021

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice