[SOLVED] Bios not reading my CD/DVD rom **New Computer**

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Yldone69

Heres the story:
I built my own system and I power it up and go through all the steps it shows me in the manual for the motherboard. I have an MSI motherboard with flopy, Hard drive, and CD/DVD rom. The motherboard supports 2 main IDE slots, I am using the 1st one for my Hard Drive and my second I have my CD/dvd rom hooked up. Both set as masters since I plan to upgrade very soon with an addition HD and CD/RW or DVD burner.
My Bios only see's the Flopy and the Hard Drive, I plan to install WinXP but I need to boot from CD/dvd rom.
I dont wanna make the CD/dvd rom a slave but I will if I have to.
Is having the two masters a problem? they are on seperate IDE slots.
How do I get my Bios to read my CD/dvd rom?

Is it turned set to auto detect in the bios. Make sure the cable is also on right. pin 1 is next to the power plug. the stripe is on the number 1 side on the cable. It is on a separate cable? also on the end of the second cable?

Also watch the first screen on bootup. It should show there if properly installed and may not show in windows.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
In any modern system, if you have the power and data cable on the drive properly, it should be recognized as master or slave, at least it always works for me. Being the only drive on the channel, master is preferred.

If it's not detected by the BIOS, I'd try plugging it onto the connector that you now have the HD on and see if it sees it there. You may have a bad cable or IDE port, of course it could also be a bad CD drive.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hi and welcome. Silly question, but it happens......is it getting power? Does it light up at all during bootup?

Yldone69

HI there :) and thank you.
Yes the CD/dvd rom is getting power, it opens and closes. I am going to check the cables again a make sure everything is ok there. Very nice responses, I will check back later with an update.
not at home atm but will be in a few hours.... Work on saturday yuk.

Yldone69

***Update***

Aaaahhhhhhh!!!! those darn cables :eek:
WinXP is loading as I type, thanks to ALL for the advise.

*edit*
Nice sig about the beer thing, heh Worked for me :D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online